Driveshaft/Bearing Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission and rear end have been rebuilt and replaced in last 10k miles. As I was leaving work, I was cruising down a hill, so no throttle or brake, and it felt like I hit something in road(like a rodent), but I know I didn't. I could feel something was off so I slowly got into the throttle and it made a terrible noise that sounded like a bearing was shot. It can't be a bearing though, because it only happens when I'm on the throttle. When I'm coasting, there still a REALLY faint noise, but bad when I'm on throttle. It gets more intense the more I'm on throttle. It's not engine because when parked/switched into neutral it makes no noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RAWVORTEC

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I put it on jack stand and put it in drive under idle pressure. Clicking from the rear end. Had it rebuilt in May so it's going back Wednesday to get looked at. I'll update later on.

OP
OP
RAWVORTEC

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright,so parts were replaced with NAPA parts back in May when the rear end got rebuilt. The bearing that sits on the right and left went bad. So it all get replaced for free. Everything is solid now.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has your transfer case ever been rebuilt?

I have discovered the forward and rearward output shaft bearings on the transfer case were bad.

I picked up another transfer case (core) at the junkyard for $75 and went through and completely rebuilt it. The bearings on the front output shaft were so bad I had to replace the front/forward out put shaft.

If you get up under the truck there is a quick and easy test. Grab ahold of the driveshaft close transfer case, if you push up and there is up/down movement........time for a rebuild. Use this same test for the front and rear driveshaft.

If the there is enough play in the rear the driveshaft, it could cause the pinion bearings to wear prematurely.