Driver door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quetzal680

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First, let me apologize if this problem has been addressed previously, I couldn't find it

Tahoe 2003 z71.

Background, power window for the driver door works fine, the the rest do not go down immediately, and after pressing for 3 seconds they go down step by step, like down 1 inch then stop 1 second, down 1 inch then stop 1 second.

The driver side mirror don't move nor fold, the right side mirror can do both.

The door lock/unlock have the same issue as the windows, press for eternity then It will lock or unlock.

So, I bought a driver control switch from AliExpress, identical to the old one. Windows go down, moth mirrors move and fold , and the lock/unlock works. All work .... Once. Let me explain.

After I roll down the passenger side window, it's like... get exhausted. I press repeatedly and nothing, I stop pressing for a few seconds and it starts rolling back up. And it does the same "going up/down in steps".

Apply the same thing for the mirror moving/folding and the lock/unlock.... Work once .... Press repeatedly... Stop for a few seconds and then I press again and it works. Oh, the driver door doesn't register as closed . So I bought new driver door actuator and it didn't work. So I gave up and let it be. But the car battery stared to drain overnight or while I'm at work. Changed to the old driver door switch and the battery gone back to normal.

Sorry for the long post, and for the bad English.

Any help... Please.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being a broken record...

Is the ground for the Body Control Module (BCM) clean and tight?

Check the ground connections on the driver's side, in line with the door hinges. You will see where the black wires bolt to the body mount on that side.
Pull them, clean the contact points, wire terminal connectors and bolts.
Once clean and securely bolted in place, coat the outside of the are with primer or paint to prevent new corrosion.

See if that does anything.

If not, it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to have clean and secure ground contacts!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is to backup @MassHoe04 What you describe seems to be a classic issue of not enough power getting to the circuits in the doors. This is most often caused by bad ground wires. He tells you where to look and how to fix them. If this is not an issue with bad grounds, I'd test your battery and/or your alternator. If they are pushing the correct amount of power, then you are going to have to chase the power and ground leads going to the door module(s). Not a fun task.

I know a good mechanic in my area -- he just tracked down and repaired a wiring issue that plagued us for about 6 weeks.

Jrschultz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me here with this one. 04 Yukon. I unlock the door. Open it, and it locks so my door wont shut. I have to get a screwdriver and pry the latch open to be able to close my door. Some kind of module go on it?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the latch working properly or do you think it is the electric lock actuator/switch/electrical?

Just to be sure the door latch is doing what it should...

Clean out the latch mechanism with brake cleaner or parts cleaner, then spray some white lithium grease into the door latch mechanism.
Work the door latch opening and closing the door a few times.
Make sure it moves freely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2