Driver door rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

like2detail

Reaction score
I finally solved my passenger door panel rattle. It was a simple fix. On a road trip this weekend my son pressed on the door panel in front of the speaker grill and it instantly stopped. I found out the front edge of the door panel (where the weather stripping from the dash puts pressure on it) taps against the metal frame of the door. I just pulled the front edge of the door panel away and stuck this anti rattle tape I got from amazon to the back of the door panel to cushion it from making contact with the metal. I put about 4 one inch pieces of tape along that edge at spots that were tapping. Rattle gone and confirmed.

like2detail

Reaction score
It's a 2021, have dealer figure it out
It's a 2021, have dealer figure it out
It really depends on the dealer choices that you have locally. I worked for a really reputable Toyota dealer for 25 years on their sales team. Rattles can be very frustrating for technicians and customers. Techs typically get paid flat rate and these sorts of repairs don't pay very well for the amount of time that they take. If you have a dealer that cares they will take the time to fix it correctly. If they don't care they will just say they couldn't replicate the condition or something like that and try to charge you a diagnostic fee. I typically deal with my own rattles as best I can and ask the dealer if they've seen any common repairs that will work.

Reaction score
I finally solved my passenger door panel rattle. It was a simple fix. On a road trip this weekend my son pressed on the door panel in front of the speaker grill and it instantly stopped. I found out the front edge of the door panel (where the weather stripping from the dash puts pressure on it) taps against the metal frame of the door. I just pulled the front edge of the door panel away and stuck this anti rattle tape I got from amazon to the back of the door panel to cushion it from making contact with the metal. I put about 4 one inch pieces of tape along that edge at spots that were tapping. Rattle gone and confirmed.

Yea!!!

Reaction score
It really depends on the dealer choices that you have locally. I worked for a really reputable Toyota dealer for 25 years on their sales team. Rattles can be very frustrating for technicians and customers. Techs typically get paid flat rate and these sorts of repairs don't pay very well for the amount of time that they take. If you have a dealer that cares they will take the time to fix it correctly. If they don't care they will just say they couldn't replicate the condition or something like that and try to charge you a diagnostic fee. I typically deal with my own rattles as best I can and ask the dealer if they've seen any common repairs that will work.
Wouldn't the manufacture pay the dealership for the time and cost, like as with warranty claims?

Man, I remember when you'd buy a new vehicle and after a couple months keeping note of any rattles, squeaks, missing or broken interior pieces/covers and taking it into the dealer and leaving it for them to fix and them giving you a loaner vehicle while they had yours.

This was on $15k-$25k vehicles, not $60k-$85k ones. Boy how times and customer service has changed!

like2detail

Reaction score
Wouldn't the manufacture pay the dealership for the time and cost, like as with warranty claims?

Man, I remember when you'd buy a new vehicle and after a couple months keeping note of any rattles, squeaks, missing or broken interior pieces/covers and taking it into the dealer and leaving it for them to fix and them giving you a loaner vehicle while they had yours.

This was on $15k-$25k vehicles, not $60k-$85k ones. Boy how times and customer service has changed!
So sorry for the slow response, I should actually check the site more often. Yes, the manufacturer does pay the dealer but not for the amount of time these annoying rattles take to find. They estimate repairs in tenths of an hour. Rattle diagnostics might pay just a few tenths so some techs may just rush it and say the can't duplicate so they don't get stuck getting paid 15 mins flat rate on a 2 hour job. I really believe most dealers would try do do a good job. I use a local Caddy store that does an amazing job on my GMC. Caddy stores can do GMC warranty work but not the other way around. Lucky us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts