Dramatic loss of Power with AC on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dubfreaks

Reaction score
My 5.3 feels like a 4 cylinder when my a.c. is on, it's hot out, and the clutch fan is engaging. I've read that some notice a loss of about 10-20hp and then others notice no loss at all. Is there a common issue that can cause this and doesn't anyone know of any fix?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 5.3 feels like a 4 cylinder when my a.c. is on, it's hot out, and the clutch fan is engaging. I've read that some notice a loss of about 10-20hp and then others notice no loss at all. Is there a common issue that can cause this and doesn't anyone know of any fix?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

First do a quick check of your Throttle Body. It may be time for a cleaning.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 04 you can definitely "feel" when the ac clutch engages and disengages going down the road. It's noticeable but not enough to be considered abnormal. And yeah I have a severe duty fan clutch dragging things down as well. Unless the compressor is locking up, just drive it.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a pretty common thing for our 5.3's when the throttle body gets nasty, running the AC will cause it to run like junk but it seems fine when the AC is off.

It may not be in your case but I've seen guys replace compressors, thinking they were starting to lock up, even after suggesting to them to take 5 minutes and try a throttle bottle cleaning. And it biting them in the rear.

Again, just a suggestion.

CTUBS8732

Reaction score
Did your issue ever get resolved? I'm having the same problem. Just replaced my compressorand tahoe Doesn't down shift anymore. Even with the pedal floored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenTV GUy

Latest posts