Door Hinge pin replacement = FAIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well went to replace my door hinge pins on my driver and passenger doors. Ordered 4 Dorman 38416 kits, and two 38433 roller pins. After much research, and everyone saying its a 45 min job, watching several videos, etc. I go to tackle it today. Get the old ones off without a hitch, chisel out the roller pin and clean up. Go to install the new bushings and they were WAY too big to go. Cleaned up the hole a little, and went to use dormans method of nut and bolt to press the new bushing in. Get it started anddddddd crack. Open it up some more and finally get it in. End up having to open all the holes up for the bushings and they all press in really easily. Go to put the door on, and get it lined up and the pins will not fit in the bushings. Take the door off, try a test run and the pins will not go in the bushings. Hit with BFH and wont go, just bust the bushing. Went through all four packs of bushings trying to find one that would fit. No go. Every one I have read said they go in without a hitch and are a breeze to install. What the hell did I do wrong?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You have the wrong pins and bushings.

Dorman bushings 38684

Dorman pins and bushing kits 38453

Your bushings are wrong and your pins are only for the upper hinge

OP
OP

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have clarified, 2000 OBS Z71. The parts you list are for NBS. The parts I had look exactly the same as the old ones, but would not fit. Also checked to make sure I had the right bushing in the right place as they are different sizes. The big bushing would not go on the big base of the pin, even after lubing and placing in a vise and banging.

Last edited:

Dneel81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my pins last night on the drivers door.
4 packets later I finally took the dremel out and opened up the hinge holes. Damn brass bushings crack if you look at them wrong. Did the spring pin also (the big one you have to drill out from the top). What a PITA

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I went through this on my 98 Blazer (along with a hundred other things, lol). This is one of those pain in the ass jobs I would just rather have the dealer do going forward. I will happily pay for their aggravation. I would rather pull the engine than monkey with the door hinge pins again. I think I'm going to go oil mine now that you've dredged up my horrible memories. Just remember, "door hinge" is about the only thing that rhymes with "orange".

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
hmm i did mine and they went in with no problems. the only thing i had to drill out was ont the spring roller all the pins went in like they should

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900