Does a CAI really improve engine performance ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmannx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been reading through the forums and am on the fence about this MOD. I haven't found a clear cut feature / benefit from brand to brand. Everyone has their own opinion as to which is best. Most importantly - do they work - will I get more power ? as I read through the posts I see more people commenting on how good they sound. I could care less about what the truck sounds like. I just want it to know that it will improve the 5.3L performance.

On a side note, I recently worked a tradeshow for the RV industry and Magnaflow was right next to my booth. I asked the gentleman from Magnaflow working the booth what he would recommend for my truck. He point blank told me - nothing. The only thing it would do is make the truck have a good sound. Really ???

Reaction score
Most definitely. To sum it up and simplify things a bit, a good quality CAI will provide your engine with cleaner, less restricted, and cooler airflow. Less restriction and better airflow means snappier throttle response, a throatier sound, and potential for better mpg. Keeping the air as cool as possible is vastly important in making more power, especially on a N/A motor, and is why we place so much emphasis in our design on keeping the IAT as cool as possible. That is why we ceramic coat our intake tubes and offer an enclosed and insulated box design to reduce heat soak.

Also take a look at this, it was just posted in our vendor section today by a customer with our CAI. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44859

As far as the comments said to you by the exhaust guys, that makes no sense whatsoever. If more air and cooler air did not make more power then forced induction and intercoolers would not exist. More air means more fuel and more combustion, which means more power. Unfortunately they gave you very bad information, which is honestly quite surprising. Will a CAI add 50 HP...of course not, will it give you added performance that the average driver can feel and notice...most definitely.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help!

Last edited:

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you for a fact. I drive pretty consistently. Some trips around town, a few on the interstate. Normal drivin, my mpg average is up 1-2 from just a CAI change. yes it has more throttle response, and when you play with that, your MpG goes down.

I'd do it again.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say the throttle response is better and sounds much better. I think it definitely has a little more power too. But my gas mileage didn't improve at all. I would do it again if I had the choice. It's a pretty cheap mod and easy to install.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

doubletapdrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engines are basically air pumps, so anything you can do to improve airflow in or out of the engine will help make more power.
The factory intake is engineered to be quiet, and smooth airflow is a secondary consideration. Cat back exhausts usually don't add much (if any) power on the denalis since the factory exhaust is like a 3.5" diamater mandrel-bent setup and flow fairly well for a factory exhaust. I'm sure long tube headers would free up quite a big of power (they also tend to be very loud).

totheyard

Reaction score
Cat Backs add a little, taking away that stock muffler. Some back pressure is good.

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've experienced 2 mpg increase with my aftermarket intake and exhaust. And the responsiveness and HP increase is defenitely noticeable.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you for a fact. I drive pretty consistently. Some trips around town, a few on the interstate. Normal drivin, my mpg average is up 1-2 from just a CAI change. yes it has more throttle response, and when you play with that, your MpG goes down.

I'd do it again.

Really? I noticed my mpg's slightly went down when I did added an Airaid CAI to my Tahoe I had... it had improved response when stepping on the gas pedal and it sounded cool but def didn't help my MPG's :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo

Latest posts