Do you get what you pay for in Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keg97

Reaction score
This is all great information. Especially the comparison of the tread depth of 8/32. If the Defender LTX's are 4/32" deeper in tread, that would definitely suggest longer life. So let me ask you all this simple question. Why, in your opinions are the Michelin Defender LTX's your go to tire? My wife tells me I overthink and over analyze decisions like this, but I like to make the best decision as possible. My commute is short, I live in the mountains, but don't have to deal with a lot of snow, though the roads can be damaged due to the snow removal equipment. I am looking at a $300 difference between Firestone and Michelins (12/32") and $260 between the General Grabber (12/32") and Michelins (12/32"). Maybe the higher UTQG rating of the Michelins justifies the +$300 as I would in theory get longer life. Ok, I am over analyzing.

Thanks everyone for your continued comments.
I realize $ is $ and every dollar saved is worthwhile and can be spent elsewhere. General is well known and a respected mid-tier tire vendor. But they are mid-tier.

But this sticks with me....what is the only thing connecting you to the road? The 4 tires. Don't cheap out.

You see how many of us are adamant about Michelins. There is a reason for that. I'm coming from the stock Bridgestones and the upgrade was noticeable and dramatic....well beyond the "just getting a new set of tires on" better. I push my Escalade and these tires hold the road very nicely. No issues in major rainstorms. They do well in the deep sand at our beach house. So good that I often don't even shift into 4WD. Rather, I just air down and roll away. We don't get much snow so I can't speak to that.

Don't overanalyze this.

MoonTruck

Reaction score
Older thread but digging into tire info and just wanted to say thanks for letting us know that the Michelin X is the same as the Defender. Costco currently has $150 off Michelin 01/2023 and I almost ordered the Defenders. I will order the X’s now if they are the same, they are about $30 less per tire.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll also add that Michelin is a company that stands behind their tires.

We bought a ‘22 Yukon XL SLE w/ Duramax. It was one of those rigs that got built and sat outside the plant waiting on parts. Likely it stayed in the same place and was subjected to Texas heat all summer long.

All that said after 1,000 miles I knew I had flat spots in the tires and they weren’t going to correct themselves. I took our rig to a local independent shop where my friend works. They road force tested the tires and they were all beyond correctable.

My friend got on the phone with Michelin and within about 5min he had a claim number and they said they would pay for new tires, mounting and balancing. On top of that they upgraded me from the stock Primacy LTX to the Defender LTX at no charge.

Michelin could’ve easily said this was a GM problem and they would need to pay for the warranty on it. I was expecting that to be the case, but my friend said it was worth a call and he was right.

We’re now happily gliding down the highway on SMOOTH Michelin Defenders and will never buy a different tire as long as we own this rig.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I barely got 20K on my stock Michelin energy savers - no bueno. I'm also a big fan of the Defenders, but I have been rolling Conti Terrain Contact HTs for last 20K, and I may actually prefer them. Very close to defender, but not as square shouldered. They are just as quiet if not a little bit smoother. Great traction wet - including ice. Probably will replace them with same unless I do the AT version for looks. Have 70K treadwear too on P rated...

Just looked up on Tirerack ratings - almost dead tie with the Defenders...

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree the TerrainContact HT is a good tire but the Defender LTX handles better, otherwise they are very comparable.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I barely got 20K on my stock Michelin energy savers - no bueno. I'm also a big fan of the Defenders, but I have been rolling Conti Terrain Contact HTs for last 20K, and I may actually prefer them. Very close to defender, but not as square shouldered. They are just as quiet if not a little bit smoother. Great traction wet - including ice. Probably will replace them with same unless I do the AT version for looks. Have 70K treadwear too on P rated...

Just looked up on Tirerack ratings - almost dead tie with the Defenders...
If there is any negative with the Defenders is that they look a little like RV Delivery PU high mileage tires, not upscale SUV tires. Thay being said, they are overall still the best choice if you don't want to look for tires again for a long time. On most tires, treadwear ratings are overrated, and if you try to claim against it you will get a mere pittance of reimbursement.

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had a car long enough to buy tires, well except the wife’s car. bought a set of Nankang SP9 Tires for it, got about 37000 miles out of them 3/years. were $99 each on amazon.
245/60/20” I’d say good value but probably not the best tire out there.

OEM MB is continental and had not much luck with those, one developed bubble on the sidewall/ready to blow.
(Around Medora ND, holiday trip)

The stock LX20 Tire on the 2023 Yukon is nice ride but the profile picks up a lot of rocks, spits those out when you enter the highway. handles good.

All tires mentioned in the thread all well tested/reviewed by members. can’t go wrong with those.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Older thread but digging into tire info and just wanted to say thanks for letting us know that the Michelin X is the same as the Defender. Costco currently has $150 off Michelin 01/2023 and I almost ordered the Defenders. I will order the X’s now if they are the same, they are about $30 less per tire.
FYI @MoonTruck, Costco pretty much alternates between $150 off Michelin and then $150 Goodyear. But as timing would have it, I needed new Michelins during the period when only the Goodyears were being promoted. So I just asked the tire shop if I could get the $150 off Michelin deal instead, and they said sure.

Last edited:

Mgrantham1683

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m getting a set of Yokohama parada spec x this Friday. Discount tire, $890 out the door. I know Michelins are nicer but I’ll try these for the savings, I’ll post a review if nobody has had these before.

MoonTruck

Reaction score
FYI @MoonTruck, Costco pretty much alternates between $150 off Michelin and then $150 Goodyear. But as timing would have it, I needed new Michelins during the period when only the Goodyears were being promoted. So I just asked the tire shop if I could get the $150 off Michelin deal instead, and they said sure.
Interesting, so they can give you the deal out of the date range, interesting. Last month it was Bridgestone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove