Do you get what you pay for in Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

renotahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My '18 Tahoe LT is getting close to needing some new tires. I am currently at 39,000 miles with the stock Michelin's. Tire Rack has really good reviews on the General Grabber HTS over the Bridgestone Duelers. The General Grabbers are significantly lower in $'S too but the warranty of 65,000 miles on the Generals is much lower than the 80,000 of the Bridgestone's. I am in the Reno area where it can snow, but typically is gone in a day or two. So do you get what you pay for when it comes to tires?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t hang my hat on mileage ratings. Very few sets of tires go the full distance that they are warranted. And when you bring this up they give you a mere pittance of a credit toward another set of their brand only.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '18 Tahoe LT is getting close to needing some new tires. I am currently at 39,000 miles with the stock Michelin's. Tire Rack has really good reviews on the General Grabber HTS over the Bridgestone Duelers. The General Grabbers are significantly lower in $'S too but the warranty of 65,000 miles on the Generals is much lower than the 80,000 of the Bridgestone's. I am in the Reno area where it can snow, but typically is gone in a day or two. So do you get what you pay for when it comes to tires?
What kind of Michelins came stock on your Tahoe? How have they worn?

OP
OP
R

renotahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Energy Saver All Seasons. They are down to the wear bars. I would have hoped that Michelins would have lasted longer than they did. A local shop is offering Firestone Destination LE3's for under $800 out the door. They have good reviews too.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve skyward been able to get 60kplus on my tires. Goodyears, Michelins and Bridgestones. I rotate with every oil change too.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those energy saver tires have 8/32" tread when brand new (that I've seen) Standard tires usually have minimum of 11/32" depth. I really like Michelin tires, but not those. Not too many good reviews on the Bridgestones seems like.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Energy Saver All Seasons. They are down to the wear bars. I would have hoped that Michelins would have lasted longer than they did. A local shop is offering Firestone Destination LE3's for under $800 out the door. They have good reviews too.

Based on what Tom said, there wasn't much tread on them to last much longer anyway. Years ago I did extensive research into what was the best tire to put on these things and the Michelin Defenders were the hands down winner. I ran KO2s for off-roading fun and just put the Defenders on myself.

Local dealership matches competitor prices and offers rebates so consider that.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^x2^^ on Michelin Defenders LTX tires, if you are not doing any serious off-roading. These tires easily handle anything that the NH winter can throw at them.

If you are a member of Costco, they sell these Michelin tires under their brand name for a lower price. Same exact tire, just a lower price.

OP
OP
R

renotahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is all great information. Especially the comparison of the tread depth of 8/32. If the Defender LTX's are 4/32" deeper in tread, that would definitely suggest longer life. So let me ask you all this simple question. Why, in your opinions are the Michelin Defender LTX's your go to tire? My wife tells me I overthink and over analyze decisions like this, but I like to make the best decision as possible. My commute is short, I live in the mountains, but don't have to deal with a lot of snow, though the roads can be damaged due to the snow removal equipment. I am looking at a $300 difference between Firestone and Michelins (12/32") and $260 between the General Grabber (12/32") and Michelins (12/32"). Maybe the higher UTQG rating of the Michelins justifies the +$300 as I would in theory get longer life. Ok, I am over analyzing.

Thanks everyone for your continued comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs