Do the back of the seats cool too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachyugo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2016 Yukon SLT 4/4 that I purchased used. It apparently was a corporate vehicle that seems to have been special ordered with some upgrades.
Anyway, it has driver heated and cooled seats, but when the cool button is selected, only the bottom cushions get cold. The back is unaffected. Is this normal? Why would you want your butt cold and back all hot and sweaty?
If this is a malfunction, any suggestions?
Thanks

Reaction score
Both back and bottom cools on my 2012.

What does the pic on the button look like? I know on my heat buttons, one shows just the back and the other shows back and bottom.

markni12301

Reaction score
Hi Coach, I agree with gooffey.
The wavy lines should show the back also. How about your's?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220807-193014_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220807-193014_Chrome.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 10

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The top right and bottom right buttons are for HEAT, as in electric heating elements, you have your choice between butt WITH back or just back.
The AC seats, which they no longer called AC at some point, in my 2019 just blows cool air through the bottom seat cushion. You'll notice that your bottom seat cushion has air holes in the leather, and trucks without cooled seats will have solid leather bottom seat cushions. The backrest leather never has the air holes.

Attachments

• s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 2

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
GM started the cooled seats in the 02-06 (NBS) Gen Escalade. Some of the Platinum trim had an option for BOTH front and rear seats cooled. The next Gen full size SUV (NNBS) from 07-14 lost the rear seat cooling option. GM ditched the cooled seat option in 2011 and went to fan only or ventilated seats due to cost and … the EPA gave them gas milage credits for lowering the milage from keeping the A/C off for ventilated or cooled seats.

If you have perforated leather seats in front and/or back you can add a TED to make them cooled. Why do this? Owners of dark, sun soaked trucks with dark interiors that live in states like AZ or FL it’s a godsend.

05 Platinum rear seat console with cooled seats switched on

0BAE2011-EC41-40BB-BE37-1271421287AE.jpeg

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The back should cool as well. There are two little vents in the seat back for exhaust air from the fan, you can go back there and see if you feel the air or hear the fan running. Just make sure you're not hearing the fan for the cushion which is under the seat.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
This guy went down the rabbit hole on his 10 EXT and one of the best documented fixes for 07-10 cooled heated seats. Notice he states that there’s major changes in 2010 vs 07-09 TED systems.

He also gets into the ventilation system that failed and how he addressed it.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM started the cooled seats in the 02-06 (NBS) Gen Escalade. Some of the Platinum trim had an option for BOTH front and rear seats cooled. The next Gen full size SUV (NNBS) from 07-14 lost the rear seat cooling option. GM ditched the cooled seat option in 2011 and went to fan only or ventilated seats due to cost and … the EPA gave them gas milage credits for lowering the milage from keeping the A/C off for ventilated or cooled seats.

If you have perforated leather seats in front and/or back you can add a TED to make them cooled. Why do this? Owners of dark, sun soaked trucks with dark interiors that live in states like AZ or FL it’s a godsend.

05 Platinum rear seat console with cooled seats switched on

View attachment 382929

I'm not sure if the A/C ever truthfully turns off on my 2019 unless the entire HVAC system is switched off. Even when I take it out of AUTO mode and depress the A/C button so that the light turns off, I still see condensation dripping on the floor when I get home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645