Do I need a camber kit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have 2 inch mcgaughys spindles and factory keys and my alignment was fine. I want to go another inch an was gonna buy some mcgaughys keys. My question is does anyone kno if I will need a camber kit or will it still align fine with 3 inches or so in front. The reason I'm asking if because I'm also about to buy new upper control arm . Wondering if I should get the ones with the offset ball joint or bushings or just go back with regular ones.

OP
OP
Byoung1330

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I do kno that kit will align perfect I'm asking from experience from people with mcgaughys spindles and a set of drop keys. I'm sitting at 32.5 in the front with spindles and stock keys turned all the way down an it aligned fine I'm wondering if it still will if I add the drop keys. Before I got the spindles I had some crown keys an they couldn't get the camber perfect. Then I took them out an got the spindles an I know they dont change nothing an the mcgaughys keys hopefully are better an I'm wondering if they wont index my bars as much as the crown keys. thanks for the reply tho. I have considered maybe trying the arms one day. I still have my stock spindles

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropping with keys or different T-bars or anything other than spindles will affect the camber the same. The control arms are still being cycled to a different angle. Dropping it an inch by de-cranking the stock keys or dropping it an inch with re-indexed keys will make no difference. Depending on how far out the alignment was from being within spec will tell you what you need to do to resolve it. If they were within 1 degree of getting it perfect, then Belltech cams will do since they allow up to one additional degree of positive camber adjustment over where the stock ones max out. If you need more than 1 degree, you're gonna have to get offset upper control arm bushings.

OP
OP
Byoung1330

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that's what I'm trying to figure out because I'm bout to buy new upper arms an didnt kno if I should get stock or ones with offset bushings. with the stock keys fully decranked and my mcgaughys spindles I was able to get it perfectly aligned an was wondering if I could with the drop keys. And I have looked into the beltech cams. I think it's part number 4955. Or the moog arms with offset bushings But some people are saying I wont need them. I'll find out

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that's what I'm trying to figure out because I'm bout to buy new upper arms an didnt kno if I should get stock or ones with offset bushings. with the stock keys fully decranked and my mcgaughys spindles I was able to get it perfectly aligned an was wondering if I could with the drop keys. And I have looked into the beltech cams. I think it's part number 4955. Or the moog arms with offset bushings But some people are saying I wont need them. I'll find out

The only way the drop keys would make a difference is if you used them to get more drop than what the de-cranked stock keys did because more drop puts the arms at more of an angle which means more camber to correct for. But if you put in the drop keys and adjust them so that you're sitting at the same drop as what the de-cranked stock keys did, you've accomplished nothing except giving the adjusting bolts more room for adjustment.

If you are happy with the drop from the de-cranked stock keys (I'm purposefully ignoring the spindle drop in my replies since that doesn't really affect what we're discussing) and it'll align like that, then you just need stock arms and bushings. If there's a chance you'll go lower, you'll need the keys first and foremost to allow going lower and you'll need offset bushings or the Belltech cams to allow the alignment adjustability for that increased drop.

OP
OP
Byoung1330

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that's what I been trying to figure out. I kno I'm good now just wondering what I'd need if I went lower. Which I may so I may do my uppers with the bushings an slam it

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that's what I been trying to figure out. I kno I'm good now just wondering what I'd need if I went lower. Which I may so I may do my uppers with the bushings an slam it

Since you're replacing the arms, getting the offset bushings will probably be your most logical course of action. At your current drop, they may OVER correct and give you positive camber, but there should be enough adjustment in the slots to align it. Then, if you go lower, you'll already be set to align for that.

OP
OP
Byoung1330

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea see that was my thoughts before lamdub but I was wanting to see if any other members have went that route or try to get some insight on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf