Do Amplifiers Wear Out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But if you're going into the center console to drop a new sub in the Bose box, might as well find a NOS or known good Y91 amp and drop it in too. I think I'm going to swap the speakers out myself eventually, so if I get to it first I'll let you know how it goes.
I looked into that about six years or so ago when the guys on here were doing those swaps. Different connectors and wiring harnesses. I'd rather play with the engine! Keep me posted though!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or improve the signal going to it with an aftermarket HU that can be fine-tuned to your particular tastes.
A long time ago, I had my factory radio overhauled and they put new and improved parts in it that made it sound so much better. Is there anyone doing that today?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A long time ago, I had my factory radio overhauled and they put new and improved parts in it that made it sound so much better. Is there anyone doing that today?

How long ago?! I've never heard of that being done to these. I can see the really old school stuff having room for improvement with fresh caps, etc. (as was outlined earlier). But these things are too digital. The HU doesn't have much of an amp in it at all, it's more of just a line level signal generator and the amplifier does the rest. The amplifier does process some, but it's mostly still just a musical transformer to ramp up the voltage to the speakers. "Garbage in = garbage out", as it were. Just louder garbage.

ccole

Reaction score
I run a pretty high end competition level system in My 07. I’m running the factory head unit and pull the RCA signal directly from the head. The signal is extremely clean from 20Hz to 20khz when viewed on an oscilloscope. The Bose amp handles all the crossover points to the various speakers. This is where the bass limiter is active and any other sound manipulation occurs. Replacing the factory head unit isn’t required for better sound if you pull the RCA signal before the amp.

I would recommend looking into CDT Audio for 2 Ohm speaker options. They offer around a dozen 2 Ohm options in various configurations and price points. I run a set of their coaxial speakers in the rear doors for the kids. I have a switch that kills the rears and factory sub for critical listening sessions. The CDT’s do sound louder and clearer than the factory option. Also they’ve never caused issues on the factory Bose amp with the lower impedance.

In our trucks GM offered a more powerful optional Bose “Luxury” amp. These were mainly in the Escalades and Denali’s but we’re available in LTZ’s. This may account for the better sound quality and bass output.
I believe you may have already figured this out. I recall reading about guys swapping their Tahoe Bose amp with the “Luxury” model as an upgrade. I don’t remember the outcome???

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I run a pretty high end competition level system in My 07. I’m running the factory head unit and pull the RCA signal directly from the head. The signal is extremely clean from 20Hz to 20khz when viewed on an oscilloscope. The Bose amp handles all the crossover points to the various speakers. This is where the bass limiter is active and any other sound manipulation occurs. Replacing the factory head unit isn’t required for better sound if you pull the RCA signal before the amp.

I would recommend looking into CDT Audio for 2 Ohm speaker options. They offer around a dozen 2 Ohm options in various configurations and price points. I run a set of their coaxial speakers in the rear doors for the kids. I have a switch that kills the rears and factory sub for critical listening sessions. The CDT’s do sound louder and clearer than the factory option. Also they’ve never caused issues on the factory Bose amp with the lower impedance.

In our trucks GM offered a more powerful optional Bose “Luxury” amp. These were mainly in the Escalades and Denali’s but we’re available in LTZ’s. This may account for the better sound quality and bass output.
I believe you may have already figured this out. I recall reading about guys swapping their Tahoe Bose amp with the “Luxury” model as an upgrade. I don’t remember the outcome???
I believe my ‘13 LTZ has the LUX amp and I am very happy with the sound and bass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu