Do Amplifiers Wear Out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s involved in removing the door panels to replace the speakers? Any special tools needed?
pretty simple actually, couple screws, a few snap ins, and a wire connector adapter. I bought the adapter brackets to mount the 6.5" speakers since the factory units are part of the housing.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s involved in removing the door panels to replace the speakers? Any special tools needed?
It’s really easy. Front and rear are both held in place by 2X 7mm hex screws, and some clips. I find it easier to remove the door panel courtesy lights before starting. While they are out replace them with Amazon LEDs. Best to watch the YouTube videos but pics below give a good overview. Rear door is a little easier for first attempt because it’s a coaxial speaker not a component (woofer and tweeter) speaker. I used Polk Audio 6.5” (approx $100 / pair) in the rear and didn’t even need to drill new holes. I used Genuine GM OEM replacements (approx $200 /pair) in the front in order to utilize the “clip-in” front speaker design but if doing again I’d use Polk Audio in front also, with Metra 82-3002 5.25” /6.5” speaker adapter. If you use aftermarket speakers absolutely be sure to use the Metra or Red Wolf wire harnesses for GM vehicles so you don’t need to cut or splice the OEM wires.

Attachments

• DA8E6699-445A-48E2-8E63-EAB4575EFBE4.jpeg
    DA8E6699-445A-48E2-8E63-EAB4575EFBE4.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 7
  • A0EFDFAF-D890-420E-9255-44EA57A6E7DC.jpeg
    A0EFDFAF-D890-420E-9255-44EA57A6E7DC.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 39C7868B-BF53-426A-88AF-4BD32291E744.jpeg
    39C7868B-BF53-426A-88AF-4BD32291E744.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 7
  • CA149256-A0C1-46B3-AA3E-2A948A1A2FDD.jpeg
    CA149256-A0C1-46B3-AA3E-2A948A1A2FDD.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 3914E0E1-B0A0-41B3-A0D7-7C61CB2FADBD.jpeg
    3914E0E1-B0A0-41B3-A0D7-7C61CB2FADBD.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 5

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s really easy. Front and rear are both held in place by 2X 7mm hex screws, and some clips. I find it easier to remove the door panel courtesy lights before starting. While they are out replace them with Amazon LEDs. Best to watch the YouTube videos but pics below give a good overview. Even better to buy your gear from Crutchfield and get their step by step instructions and super-helpful tech support.

Rear door is a little easier for first attempt because it’s a coaxial speaker not a component (woofer and tweeter) speaker. I used Polk Audio 6.5” (approx $100 / pair) in the rear and didn’t even need to drill new holes. I used Genuine GM OEM replacements (approx $200 /pair) in the front in order to utilize the “clip-in” front speaker design but if doing again I’d use Polk Audio in front also, with Metra 82-3002 5.25” /6.5” speaker adapter. If you use aftermarket speakers absolutely be sure to use the Metra or Red Wolf wire harnesses for GM vehicles so you don’t need to cut or splice the OEM wires.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s really easy. Front and rear are both held in place by 2X 7mm hex screws, and some clips. I find it easier to remove the door panel courtesy lights before starting. While they are out replace them with Amazon LEDs. Best to watch the YouTube videos but pics below give a good overview. Rear door is a little easier for first attempt because it’s a coaxial speaker not a component (woofer and tweeter) speaker. I used Polk Audio 6.5” (approx $100 / pair) in the rear and didn’t even need to drill new holes. I used Genuine GM OEM replacements (approx $200 /pair) in the front in order to utilize the “clip-in” front speaker design but if doing again I’d use Polk Audio in front also, with Metra 82-3002 5.25” /6.5” speaker adapter. If you use aftermarket speakers absolutely be sure to use the Metra or Red Wolf wire harnesses for GM vehicles so you don’t need to cut or splice the OEM wires.
Thanks!

abrasumente

Reaction score
@swathdiver amps can and do degrade over time. As others have said it's usually the caps, although these dudes have Nichicon caps in em which are pretty highly regarded. There is a possibility that the nav radio in your '13 has a higher baseline output voltage (think 5v preout on an old school Alpine HU vs 2v on a barebones Sony from walmart), or a different crossover frequency which results in less distortion as the speakers wouldn't be playing frequencies they can't handle, and thus will sound better.

I suppose there could be a difference between the 2012/2013 UQA amps. When I was doing research for my UQS upgrade project I definitely remember seeing different part numbers for the UQA amps. The only way that could be determined would be removing the amp, pulling it apart, and looking up the numbers on the amplifier chips to find their cutsheets, which will tell you what their output is per channel and at what voltage/THD.

Or, if the truck wasn't new to you off the showroom floor, someone could've upgraded the amp in the past.

Here's the guts of my UQA for reference.20230527_133613.jpg20230527_133900.jpg20230527_133843.jpg

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was wrong about the amps being the same in my three trucks. The pick ups run 20811235 and mine runs a 20811234. They are both "dumb" amps and of course mine has 2 more speakers.

Could it be that the lack of 2 extra speakers left more power to give to the speakers in the pickups?

Last edited:

abrasumente

Reaction score
Well, I was wrong about the amps being the same in my three trucks. The pick ups run 20811235 and mine runs a 20811234. They are both "dumb" amps and of course mine has 2 more speakers.

Could it be that the lack of 2 extra speakers left more power to give to the speakers in the pickups?

The d pillar speakers are wired in parallel with the rear door speakers in the SUV's without the uplevel amp. This effectively splits the audio signal between them, but only on the rear "stage". If all other things are equal (same internal guts) with these amps, not having the d pillar speakers would result in the ones in the rear doors being louder.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The d pillar speakers are wired in parallel with the rear door speakers in the SUV's without the uplevel amp. This effectively splits the audio signal between them, but only on the rear "stage". If all other things are equal (same internal guts) with these amps, not having the d pillar speakers would result in the ones in the rear doors being louder.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks!

I drove the lifted Sierra tonight to Grandma's for dinner and there was no bass unless I really cranked it up to where it was uncomfortable. The kids put two 12" subs in it with a 1500 watt amplifier under the rear seats. Did not like it.

abrasumente

Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense, thanks!

I drove the lifted Sierra tonight to Grandma's for dinner and there was no bass unless I really cranked it up to where it was uncomfortable. The kids put two 12" subs in it with a 1500 watt amplifier under the rear seats. Did not like it.
You're welcome!

I used to be all about loud subs. Honestly after doing the UQS amp upgrade it's enough to satisfy my desire for full range sound without making my tinnitus worse. The original UQA amp really is wimpy.

The only way you could improve on your sound without actually replacing the amplifier would be to find speakers that are both really close to the impedance of the Bose jobs AND have a higher sensitivity. Bose uses weird impedances, like 1.9 ohms for the front door speakers, and 3.2 for the d pillars. 2 ohm aftermarkets for the fronts would be a rounding error to the amp, but putting a 2 ohm speaker in place of a 3.2 in the D pillar will likely fry something, and using a 4 ohm will result in less audible sound from that particular channel if all other specs of the replacement speaker are the same as the old one.

But if you're going into the center console to drop a new sub in the Bose box, might as well find a NOS or known good Y91 amp and drop it in too. I think I'm going to swap the speakers out myself eventually, so if I get to it first I'll let you know how it goes.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way you could improve on your sound without actually replacing the amplifier would be to find speakers that are both really close to the impedance of the Bose jobs AND have a higher sensitivity.

Or improve the signal going to it with an aftermarket HU that can be fine-tuned to your particular tastes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny