DIY: swapping cluster & keeping original odometer reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum so I'm hoping this isn't a repeat.

I swapped the original cluster to add trans temp. I didn't want to have to send in the new cluster to have the ODO changed so I swapped the memory board from my old cluster in to my new one.

I'm not going to cover removing the cluster or even taking apart the cluster. You probably shouldn't be attemping this if you need a "how to" for that part.

All you really need is a solder iron, some solder and a solder sucker.

IMG_0215.jpg

Here is the board you need to remove: There are 64 pins that need to be desoldered...X2. It will take a few minutes, take your time and make sure you are getting all the solder out. When you are done it should practically fall out. If it doesn't don't force it, check your work and desolder some more.
IMG_0217.jpg

Here is what it looks like removed:
IMG_0219.jpg

Once you have them both removed install your old one in the new cluster. Be very careful not to create any solder bridges between pins. You don't want to short out anything. If you don't have any solder experience you probably shouldn't start on this. It's far from the hardest thing I've soldered but you probably shouldn't try to learn on your new cluster. Here is what mine looked like after soldering it back in:
IMG_0216.jpg

Have fun with your cluster! :)

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Now is this the same procedure/part for 2003-2006 models?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper