Direct mount cargo basket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

battledenali

Reaction score
Are there any cargo baskets that mount direct to our roof rack system? I know there are many that will mount on the add on rack bars, but then they are elevated really high and I want to keep everything as low to the truck as possible.

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't believe so.... but I replaced the flimsy crossbars with rhino rack bars which sit pretty low, and have the Thule Motion XT XXL.

The Motion XT sits lower than other cargo boxes with the clamps integrated into the base

20190121_085011.jpg thule-motion-roof-boxes-l.jpg

OP
OP
battledenali

battledenali

Reaction score
Don't believe so.... but I replaced the flimsy crossbars with rhino rack bars which sit pretty low, and have the Thule Motion XT XXL.

The Motion XT sits lower than other cargo boxes with the clamps integrated into the base

View attachment 214467 View attachment 214468

I went with the same bars on my truck. The GMC bars are way to flimsy.

I am looking for something like this, or one with no bars so I can mount a roof tent later on.

It will give me some nice mounting points for area lighting as well. (after i figure out how to route wiring to the roof without putting holes in my $80,000 truck)

arb_roof_rack_5th_gen_4runner.jpg

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely misread your original post and thought you said cargo box!

Check out the Smittybuilt Defender 40505. I *think* they have feet that mount directly to the roof tracks

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any cargo baskets that mount direct to our roof rack system? I know there are many that will mount on the add on rack bars, but then they are elevated really high and I want to keep everything as low to the truck as possible.

FOLLOWING!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jennifer_w

Reaction score
SUV Cargo Carrier!
Didn't work well for me because I would scrape the frame every time we go through a dip or driveway and chose it based on the video review for our specific car but didn't show how it handles dips.

OP
OP
battledenali

battledenali

Reaction score
SUV Cargo Carrier!
Didn't work well for me because I would scrape the frame every time we go through a dip or driveway and chose it based on the video review for our specific car but didn't show how it handles dips.

It would dip because of the weight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu