Dipstick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Sophistication

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a quick question:

So I did an oil change. On the dipstick, there is a hashmark with two dots. The oil level is currently at the upper dot. Should I fill it all the way to the top of the hashmark or is it better to leave it where it is?

Thanks.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's what the 2016 manual shows. You didn't specify your vehicle so this is just a guess.

Capture.JPG

OP
OP
Mr Sophistication

Mr Sophistication

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My vehicle is a 2019 5.3 V8.

Owners manual says the same as what Fless posted. It doesn't specifify though if it should be at the upper dot or the top of the crossed hatched mark.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a quick question:

So I did an oil change. On the dipstick, there is a hashmark with two dots. The oil level is currently at the upper dot. Should I fill it all the way to the top of the hashmark or is it better to leave it where it is?

Thanks.

As per what the manual says, do not go higher than the top hole or top of hash mark with the oil level.

As per what @Fless said:

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok will do.

You don't want to go above the hash marks Chris and if you only fill to the bottom mark or two in the hashed marked area, that's ok too but leaves you with a little less room for error should the engine suddenly lose or consume oil. Probably get bit by a dog before that happens though. 8 quarts and drive on.

OP
OP
Mr Sophistication

Mr Sophistication

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You don't want to go above the hash marks Chris and if you only fill to the bottom mark or two in the hashed marked area, that's ok too but leaves you with a little less room for error should the engine suddenly lose or consume oil. Probably get bit by a dog before that happens though. 8 quarts and drive on.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I'll keep an eye on the level to make sure it doesn't change over time.

I'll update my profile later this evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf