Dim Low Beams 2016 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scarbogarage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my 2016 Z71 Tahoe, recently purchased, the low beams have very low intensity. Saturday night was the first time to drive it after dark and I could hardly see anything on the road. Last night I went out and with it running and in gear, using a flashlight on the sensor, I compared the DRL and low beams. The brightness is the same, DIM. What would cause the headlights not to go to full brightness? They work normal in high beam. Everything on Tahoe is stock.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

OP
OP
scarbogarage

scarbogarage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank You Joseph!!! I will have to get some cleaned up photos but i have been on the road the past two weeks. I look forward to learning the unique qualities of the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade line.
On this 2016 I am looking for the relay that controls the low beams and start my troubleshooting there unless someone else has a good starting point.

IMG_5567.jpg

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The halogen light in the tahoe has always been very dim. In mine, I changed the lamps to Osram nightnreaker + 110%, it was noticeably better, but did not change the problem. Now acquaintances on the tahoe k2xx are changing the blocks inside the headlight to diode modules. This solution is just fantaastic

OP
OP
scarbogarage

scarbogarage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The halogen light in the tahoe has always been very dim. In mine, I changed the lamps to Osram nightnreaker + 110%, it was noticeably better, but did not change the problem. Now acquaintances on the tahoe k2xx are changing the blocks inside the headlight to diode modules. This solution is just fantaastic
I have gathered that from some of the posts I have read. The thing that baffles me is on my Tahoe the light intensity from DRL to low beam doesn’t change at all. Even in the transition it doesn’t flicker or blink it stays the same low level.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gathered that from some of the posts I have read. The thing that baffles me is on my Tahoe the light intensity from DRL to low beam doesn’t change at all. Even in the transition it doesn’t flicker or blink it stays the same low level.
I don't understand a little. DRL and dipped beam are different headlight units. DRL is a diode strip that separates the near and far blocks of the headlight. and Low beam is the upper headlight assembly. Do you mean that the strip of diodes does not get brighter or dimmer when switching to DRL and Low beam?

OP
OP
scarbogarage

scarbogarage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't understand a little. DRL and dipped beam are different headlight units. DRL is a diode strip that separates the near and far blocks of the headlight. and Low beam is the upper headlight assembly. Do you mean that the strip of diodes does not get brighter or dimmer when switching to DRL and Low beam?
My understanding, and correct me if I’m wrong, on the 2015-2017 Tahoe the DRL are the low beam at a reduced brightness. They didn’t go to the DRL on the LED strip untill 2018?
Currently as I test my Tahoe with the headlights on in auto at night and compare to the DRL, tricked by a light on the sensor, they both are the low beam (upper) headlight and have the same intensity no matter what mode it’s in.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding, and correct me if I’m wrong, on the 2015-2017 Tahoe the DRL are the low beam at a reduced brightness. They didn’t go to the DRL on the LED strip untill 2018?
Currently as I test my Tahoe with the headlights on in auto at night and compare to the DRL, tricked by a light on the sensor, they both are the low beam (upper) headlight and have the same intensity no matter what mode it’s in.
Hmm, I just had a Tahoe 2015 with a diode tape. Here in the photo the dipped beam is turned on forcibly. but the diode strip is also visible. Accordingly, in the DRL mode, only the diode strip shone, and the low beam was turned off

Attachments

• 2016-06-28 16-58-46.JPG
    2016-06-28 16-58-46.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 3

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any difference if you manually turn on the low beams, rather than using the auto-on sensor? Seems it could be a bad light sensor, or wiring.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any difference if you manually turn on the low beams, rather than using the auto-on sensor? Seems it could be a bad light sensor, or wiring.
I don't remember how on the k2xx generation, but on T1, if you turn it off, everything goes out. And the DRL does not turn on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts