Differential Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUSTWUFN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Getting ready to service my rear diff on my wife's 2004 Yukon. I have read as many of the posts on here that I can find and I have a few questions.

Noticed that some of you guys have mentioned using magnets to check for metal debris in oil. Does the factory install a magnet in the differentials to catch the metal or you guys using your own magnet to check for the metal debris? I assumed you were using your own magnets to check for shavings once oil is drained. Am I right or wrong?

Also, silicone vs gasket. What do the service techs use at the dealer?

Is there a DYI section on the site that lists suggested steps to do the diff service?

HankHill

Reaction score
My factory cover had a magnet on it. I believe you'll find yours does, too. Gasket vs. RTV? You'll get all kinds of answers on this. I used a gasket. Truth is, either way done right will be fine; and done wrong they'll both leak.

As for a how-to, I'm sure they're out there on various sites & youtube, probably.

Here's some of my personal advise:

if you live in the rustbelt or if the cover looks rotted, replace it. You can get a kit from the dealer that includes new cover, bolts, and gasket. The new cover includes a magnetic drain plug for future changes. It's not that expensive. I like the setup, and I primered & painted mine flat black.

For the refill, buy or make a funnel with a hose attachment. It's easier to pour in the new fluid that way.

Torque the bolts with a torque wrench.

Good luck!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The differential uses a paper material gasket that is a little difficult to clean off (but easier to clean off than RTV), but hardly ever leaks. If you do buy a gasket, get the GM one from a dealer. I don't know if parts stores offer a differential gasket, but if it is a crap rubber or cork gasket like what comes with an aftermarket transmission filter kit, it will leak.

rhinom67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You may want to upgrade your fluid other than factory. Just make sure its compliant. Royal Purple or Lucas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia