Differential Rear Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98white_hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 98 Tahoe and my differential just went out about a day ago. If any of you guys can help me out with opinions on how to drop it down by removing every bolt and every part carefully. What's more convenient for me? Getting a rebuild or buying a used one? I would like to do this myself due to financial problems. Thanks!

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are doing it yourself more then likely you want one already rebuilt, don't go get a piece from the junk yard and throw it in there. If you want to rebuild it yourself, rebuilding it outside the truck is best but it can be done under there. It's not an easy job and if you have no mechanical ability, you will be in over your head. :D

OP
OP
98white_hoe

98white_hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rear Differential

Thanks bro. I asked for a rebuilt one at a local shop and its around $650 wit new parts but it comes with 3:73 gears all new parts. But i was told it wont run due to the codes and mine carries 2:42 gears. It costs me $750 for mine to get rebuilt using used parts and new bearings. Is it possible to fit in the one with 3:73 gears!? My truck is a 4x4

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
2.42 gears should have never been put in your suv. if it the same 8-5/8 axle setup the most they may need to no besides regearing is change the differential carrier. can you post your vin here since you cant pm yet? i would like to investigate your production run.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

btw in order to use the 4wd function you will have to get the front axle ration to match. i just cant believe you have gear 2.42. in fact i dont think i saw one before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kchaga1978

Latest posts