Didn't start then started right up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Holt50

Holt50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d check for spark and fuel pressure, then. A parts store will have a tester, see if you have spark at all eight plugs or if any show a weaker spark compared to others.

Fuel pressure should be 60-66 psi with ignition on, engine off. A parts store would probably rent a test kit, or you can get one at Harbor Freight for pretty cheap.

As a quick check for a flaky coolant temperature sensor, try holding the gas to the floor while cranking.

You could also spray some starter fluid down the throttle body; replace the air intake before trying to start. If it starts and runs, it’s probably a weak fuel pump. If it starts and dies, then it’s a lack of fuel (bad pump or injector issue). If it doesn’t start at all, then it’s probably ignition related...check for spark then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok I'll check all that. Thank you

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 GM 5.7 340k miles. I had a 97 that I ran over 400k it had a tendency to need a new distributor cap and rotor every 75 to 100k miles with your exact symptoms..............Cheap and only takes 30 mins to change out. One quick test that you can do is pull off one plug wire from the cap at a time and see if it will start. What I mean is pull one and try to start if it does not start then reinstall that plug wire and try another one until you have done them all. That always worked to get me limped along on 7 cylinders to where I could change the cap. For some odd reason when you find the shorted distributor cap outlet and pull "that" plug wire it WILL run on 7 cylinders just fine. I cannot explain it, that is just the way it is LOL.

OP
OP
Holt50

Holt50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1997 GM 5.7 340k miles. I had a 97 that I ran over 400k it had a tendency to need a new distributor cap and rotor every 75 to 100k miles with your exact symptoms..............Cheap and only takes 30 mins to change out. One quick test that you can do is pull off one plug wire from the cap at a time and see if it will start. What I mean is pull one and try to start if it does not start then reinstall that plug wire and try another one until you have done them all. That always worked to get me limped along on 7 cylinders to where I could change the cap. For some odd reason when you find the shorted distributor cap outlet and pull "that" plug wire it WILL run on 7 cylinders just fine. I cannot explain it, that is just the way it is LOL.
Ok I'll try it tomorrow

OP
OP
Holt50

Holt50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I fixed it with a new fuel pump. Now when I get on it it misfires but only when I'm stepping on it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645