07 Silverado hard start after fueling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I was ready to stuff the filler neck with rags and push the truck into the street after lighting the rags because of the pump clicking off.

Almost every Gen 4 truck I see at the gas station is doing the clickity, click click thing. I thought I had a 26 gal tank and bummed I was filling up so often, especially with e85 reduced range.

After the f/p, emissions stuff and pellets were wiped out I almost shat my pant when I got 29 gal in the tank on the first pour. It tipped off at 31.5gal by sipping it in like I used to. That extra 5+ gal capacity is flipping great now. The ship I used to take for granted ain’t so much anymore.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One tip to help prevent the canister from filling with liquid fuel -- and ruining it -- is to stop filling after the first click. When the tank gets full it overflows into the canister through the evap lines, soaks the charcoal bits and turns 'em loose. Where they shouldn't go.

Personally I fill at a fairly high flow rate, but stop before the pump's first click. Then I use the slowest fill setting to finish, and stop at the automatic click. YMMV

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just done it on my Tahoe but my Tahoe was clicking the gas handle off every couple of gallons so you would have to stand there to reset the pump or set it slow so it wouldn’t click off.

Never had a starting issue just a issue getting gas in the Tahoe
Yeah, not filling is a venting/canister issue.

But the hard start only and after a fillup is absolutely the purge valve/solenoid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts