Did the U-Joint test and may have found out something worse.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McFizzl

Broke as a Joke.
Reaction score
I put set the parking brake and put the truck in park. I was able to get under there and turn the drive shaft by hand. I dont know what this could be. I did run with a much smaller spare on one of the rear wheels. did i ruin my gears in the rear diff doing this?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
okay you are in park and parking brake is on and you can turn by hand the rear drive shaft that goes from tranny to rear axle? if that is true and your rear wheels dont move when doing so means your rear end is stripped AND the parking prawl lock in tranny is broken as well.

does not seem typically plausible. may be i did not read you correctly.

no spare even or not would do that kind of damage.

Milky1112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hope he's turning the front drive shaft. Specially if he's able to drive the vehicle.

OP
OP
McFizzl

McFizzl

Broke as a Joke.
Reaction score
I was turning the rear driveshaft. its also making a loud clunk noise when going from park or neutral into drive or reverse. and it has a vibration between 55mpg and 70mph that goes away when i let off the gas

The rear shaft wont just spin. it does have play in it that might be normal. I was looking for the U joint to have some slop in it

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No running with a smaller tire wouldn't have done that if you have an open rear end. You either have lots of play in the pinion or you don't know what you are doing under there and need someone with more experience to help you troubleshoot this issue.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Bulletin No.: 99-04-20-002G
Date: May 06, 2011
Subject: Information on Driveline Clunk Noise When Shifting Between PARK and DRIVE, PARK and REVERSE or DRIVE and REVERSE
Models:
2012 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2010 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add current model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-20-002F (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle). Important
The condition described in this bulletin should not be confused with the following previous bulletins: - Info - Discontinue Flushing and Replacing Transfer Case Fluid Due to Bump/Clunk Concern (Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004A) - Clunk, Bump or Squawk when Vehicle Comes to Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop (Replace Rear Drive Shaft Nickel-Plated Slip Yoke) (Corporate Bulletin Number 01-04-17-004B) - Clunk Noise at Stop or From Launch (Clean/Lubricate Rear Propshaft Slip Yoke Splines) (Corporate Bulletin Number 09-04-21-003D) - Bump Feel/Clunk Noise at Stop or From Launch (Clean/Lubricate Propeller Shaft Slip Yoke Splines) (Corporate Bulletin Number 09-04-17-002E) Some customers of vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise when shifting between Park and Drive, Park and Reverse, or Drive and Reverse. Similarly, customers of vehicles equipped with automatic or manual transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise while driving when the accelerator is quickly depressed and then released.
Note
Compare this complaint vehicle to a like vehicle. If the results are the same, this is a normal condition. For additional diagnostic information, refer to the appropriate Service information. Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.
The clunk noise that owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.
For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle than a 2-wheel drive vehicle. This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common to both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additional freeplay to the driveline.
In service, dealers are discouraged from attempting to repair driveline clunk conditions for the following reasons:
- Comments of driveline clunk are almost never the result of one individual component with excessive lash, but rather the result of the added affect of freeplay (or lash) present in all of the driveline components.Because all of the components in the driveline have a certain amount of lash by design, changing driveline components may not result in a satisfactory lash reduction. - While some owners may find the clunk noise objectionable, this will not adversely affect durability or performance. - For additional diagnostic information, refer to the appropriate Service Information.

OP
OP
McFizzl

McFizzl

Broke as a Joke.
Reaction score
Thats actually pretty helpful thanks! We are gonna replace the U joints and grease everything up that needs it and put some new 90W Gear oil in there with some lucas treatment. Always had good results using all those lucas lubricant additives so I trust them. It will even give me a good chance to clean up the diff. cover and maybe slap a coat of paint on it.

OP
OP
McFizzl

McFizzl

Broke as a Joke.
Reaction score
"Well there's your vibration." I can hear it now. U joint was more or less shattered. the pin bearings in one side had been ground into a fine metal powder similar to what was in an etch-a-sketch. No grease in the U joint at all. The problem is now fixed with a sigh of relief for my rear diff.

Attachments

• DSCF3219.jpg
    DSCF3219.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF3220.jpg
    DSCF3220.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 70

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz