Did something Stoopid!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denizen of the Deep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You see, I have a 16' fishing boat that I just painted the bottom on while on the trailer. So I needed to move the boat back on the trailer about 6 inches to paint where the rollers were. My idea was to put some slack in the line securing the boat to the trailer, back down the driveway and hit the brakes. It wasn't working so well and after the 10th time trying this I lost all gears in my 2WD 95 Tahoe except reverse and neutral. They are the only ones that will light up and operate, the others are dead!

At least I didn't throw the boat off the trailer onto the road.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul D

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Yea yu probably bent the shift linkage it's not hard to find make sure the pin didn't fall out it shouldn't but if yu were beating it then I might fall or break off

Monstar_est87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the parking brake down all the way and get under and have sum1 go through all the gears... Let us kno how it goes...

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bent shift linkage?! If you have reverse and neutral you didn't bend your linkage. If the gear selector light in D 3 2 and 1 aren't lighting up you have an electrical problem, I would start with checking those electrical connectors on the side of the tranny, you will still be able to drive without those lights so that part isn't a big deal. I would guess the shift solenoids aren't getting juice ...

OP
OP
D

Denizen of the Deep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found Issue

So, it was a strange one. The connector on the end of the cable had popped off the transmission shifting lever located on the transmission. It had not simply fallen off but had jammed between the transmission and the lever. So when the column shifter was moved the cable would pull, the connector would slide forward or backward about 1/2 inch as allowed by the shape of the jammed connector. It would only move far enough before jamming forward or aft to shift between reverse and neutral.

It looks like there might be some sort of snap washer missing that allowed the connector to fall off. Any ideas on this?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Friendy