2015 Tahoe LT - Potential Steering Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockoC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When driving slowly (think parking lot) and turning the steering wheel to the stops, it feels like the wheels are binding. It is similar to the feeling of backing a boat trailer at too steep of an angle. I release the wheel a little bit and it goes away. It happens in drive and in reverse. Again, it tends to happen when pulling into/out of a parking spot, not while driving at speed.

Just curious if this is a known issue. I understand it could be caused by a hundred different things, but I figured I would check here before getting it serviced anyway.

Thanks!

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size rims do you have? I have a 2018 Escalade and when I purchased with 48k there were Goodyear Touring tires on the truck. The factory tires are suppose to be Bridgestone. I kept the tires on it since they was new because I didn’t want to waste them. When I got to 70k the tires needed to be changed. I noticed that when I first bought the truck when I would make a sharp turn the tires would rub on the fender liners and the way it felt was like there was something wrong with my steering rack. As time went on the rubbing was less and less. I went to Discount Tire and purchased brand new Michelin Defenders LTX 285/45 r22 $1600. The Michelins was rubbing very bad to the point I had to do something about it. I inspected my liners and saw the marks from the tire rubbing on the liners. I got 8x police tie-wraps and drilled two small micro holes per side to pull the liner back for the front and back for the driver and passenger side. I also had to trim a little bit with a commercial razor-blade the liners. I also got black touch up paint and painted the part you could see on the liner that was white. This solved my problem and now it is great. The Michelins are awesome tires. I am hoping the next time I need tires I may try the 275/50 r22 to see if the ride is better with them. I can always exchange them in a week back to Discount tire and get the 285/45 r22. Discount Tire gives free balance & rotation as long as you own the tire. I got a flat on one of my tires with 20k on it. Instead of me paying $375 for a new tire they prorated me and charged me $200. I think Discount Tire is the place to go for tires. If I would have purchased somewhere else I would have to pay $120 every 10k to balance and rotate. I did not have to pay for any unlimited balance and rotation package or insurance on my purchase. I only paid for the tires, install and rotation for the original deal.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When driving slowly (think parking lot) and turning the steering wheel to the stops, it feels like the wheels are binding. It is similar to the feeling of backing a boat trailer at too steep of an angle. I release the wheel a little bit and it goes away. It happens in drive and in reverse. Again, it tends to happen when pulling into/out of a parking spot, not while driving at speed.

Just curious if this is a known issue. I understand it could be caused by a hundred different things, but I figured I would check here before getting it serviced anyway.

Thanks!
Yes

OP
OP
RockoC

RockoC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I should have specified in my original post but, I have stock 20" rims with a newer set of 275/55 r20 Cooper tires and stock suspension (no lift/mods).

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I should have specified in my original post but, I have stock 20" rims with a newer set of 275/55 r20 Cooper tires and stock suspension (no lift/mods).
Np.
Also I remember something about a vacuum pump seal going bad and steering was affected but that maybe part of that recall I posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19