Did I kill my Diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure it's a Eaton Detroit, not some other garbage, leave yourself open to possible additional cost if he gets in there and finds the pinion/bearing is shot to often that is the cause of the vibrations that and worn u-joints

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Any chance you just have a u joint trying to lock up on you?

OP
OP
blown240

blown240

Reaction score
It is an actual Eaton True Track...

Im not sure if I have a u joint going bad. That would be a pretty big coincidence if that happened the day after I changed the diff oil...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is an actual Eaton True Track...

Im not sure if I have a u joint going bad. That would be a pretty big coincidence if that happened the day after I changed the diff oil...
that's a good price then my last one ran me about $1200, I don't remember if that included the pinion or not

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
The coincidence... if the fluid was changed on a drive on rack, that would be odd to effect the u joint. If the fluid was changed on a hoist that lifted by the frame, extending the suspension and moving the driveshaft to a sharper angle than typical, then it seems reasonable to effect a u joint.
Either way, dropping the shaft and checking free movement is fairly noninvasive. You could also do it, find a real stiff joint, replace it, and have no effect on current symptoms

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running the truck in drive with the rig lifted off the ground by the frame, should still have the prop shaft well within a safe operating angle. Should not hurt a u-joint. Modified suspension could be different story.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
A perfectly good u joint shouldn’t be affected by that. I’m suggesting if it was already the source of the noises prior to the fluid change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz