Detroit Axle Suspension Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok its been about 2 and a half years or so since I completely rebuild the front end of a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali. The tie rods, ball joints, idler and pitman arm are all detroit axle parts. All the bushings were replaced along with control arm chassis bolts.

I can now say without a doubt that Detroit Axle suspension parts are complete junk. The tie rods didnt last 2 years before I had to replace them. The idler arm didnt last a year. The passenger side lower ball joint completely broke in half, ripped cv half shalf in half, bent outer tie rod like pretzel while sitting the Yukon down on the highway on its chassis as my wife backed out of our driveway. All greasable suspension parts were lubed atleast once a year.

Never again will Detroit Axle parts be on any of my vehicles.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok its been about 2 and a half years or so since I completely rebuild the front end of a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali. The tie rods, ball joints, idler and pitman arm are all detroit axle parts. All the bushings were replaced along with control arm chassis bolts.

I can now say without a doubt that Detroit Axle suspension parts are complete junk. The tie rods didnt last 2 years before I had to replace them. The idler arm didnt last a year. The passenger side lower ball joint completely broke in half, ripped cv half shalf in half, bent outer tie rod like pretzel while sitting the Yukon down on the highway on its chassis as my wife backed out of our driveway. All greasable suspension parts were lubed atleast once a year.

Never again will Detroit Axle parts be on any of my vehicles.

Repackaged Chicom stuff?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Went with Moog this time on ball joints and tie rods. AC delco Idler and Pitman arm.

I absolutely hate re-doing a repair because of faulty/weak parts or my own stupidity. But I am old so I use that as an excuse all the time. It's my go to excuse.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Repackaged Chicom stuff?

I believe so, and not even the decent Chinese stuff. They give it a name like "Detroit Axle" to make it sound like a part forged in the Motor City, on American soil.

Although, like many others, they may have some "okay" parts as well as outsourced cheaper-than-cheap parts or components for their parts.

Metalshapes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear that man, if everyone is okay that is the important thing, cars are insignificant when compared to people. It’s just money, time sand parts. Just last night basically the same thing happened to me, I replaced the hub assemblies on my 01 Silverado 1500hd with Detroit axle assemblies and on the test drive less than 3/4 of a mile from the house the right front hub bearing completely came apart and dropped the truck right on the street. It completely destroyed that corner, snapped the caliper bracket, snapped the brake hose and disconnected the wheel from the truck. The rotor and caliper as well as the wheel side of the hub assembly is still bolted to the wheel, and the hub assembly housing is still bolted to the spindle. It just completely shelled! Kind of impressive in its severity really. Everyone here is okay with an expensive lesson learned.

OP
OP
rockola1971

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear that man, if everyone is okay that is the important thing, cars are insignificant when compared to people. It’s just money, time sand parts. Just last night basically the same thing happened to me, I replaced the hub assemblies on my 01 Silverado 1500hd with Detroit axle assemblies and on the test drive less than 3/4 of a mile from the house the right front hub bearing completely came apart and dropped the truck right on the street. It completely destroyed that corner, snapped the caliper bracket, snapped the brake hose and disconnected the wheel from the truck. The rotor and caliper as well as the wheel side of the hub assembly is still bolted to the wheel, and the hub assembly housing is still bolted to the spindle. It just completely shelled! Kind of impressive in its severity really. Everyone here is okay with an expensive lesson learned.
HolyShit Batman. That coulda been a fun ride at highway speed! The whole damn hub? Geez.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26