Denali v Tahoe/Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monkeyman

Reaction score
I'm not seeing a lot of Tahoe/Yukons right now. No big deal as my Blazer runs well but still.... I've kept away from including the luxury models in my search for 2 reasons. First, I think they're overpriced for what I want. I couldn't care less about impressing the neighbors although I AM looking for the luxury where it counts, on the inside. Second, the AWD v selectable 4 wheel drive found on the Tahoe/Yukons. On the other hand, I think (for the most part), the more expensive (and consequently, more luxurious) a vehicle is, the better it's probably been taken care of. (Which are you more apt to neglect? Your $15k truck or your $70k truck?)

This brings me to my questions.

How is the AWD for general ice/snow/Midwest winters compared to the selectable 4 wheel drive? I have the regular 4 wheel drive (2Hi/4Hi/4Lo) in my '04 Blazer and find that I rarely need 4Hi and almost never need 4Lo but I would have been hopelessly stuck without 4wd a few times this past winter. It would be handy to have something like Auto 4 wheel drive. (I know AWD and auto 4wd aren't exactly the same but I've never had either so I'm a little in the dark. Feel free to school me.)

How does the AWD handle in snow AND on dry pavement? Any issues with it? More expensive? Glitches? Reliable as a rock?

Are there any noteworthy differences (other than some trim) between the Denali and the Tahoe/Yukon, good, bad or otherwise?

Can the Denali be lifted?

I know I ask alot of questions but I'm finding that I know much less about the full size GM SUVs than I thought. I've owned a few full size trucks and my 2 S10 based SUVs but never a full size GM SUV. Thanks, all!

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Z71. It is 2wd, 4low, 4high, and auto. Never used the auto. I did use 4 wheel drive last winter in about 8" of snow and it worked really good, even though my rear tires are past the 50% mark. It has a posi in the rear so that helps. It is a pretty heavy truck so that helps.

It is a REALLY big truck, so think carefully. It is more to parallel park and visibility out the back is poor. Mine has side mirrors that can adjust down to curb and I really need to set this up because that is another issue in terms of visibility; this is for revers position. If you don' t live in city, than it is probably not a big deal.

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i looked at a few denalis when i was searching for mine. i didnt want the gas mileage hit because you are driving all 4 wheels all the time vs a traditional 4x4.

the 4x4 compared to the 2wd only takes a 1mpg hit (on the epa ratings anyway) and the denali takes a 4mpg hit. i didnt want to deal with that. these things already drink gas. getting almost 20mpg on the highway vs 16-17 is a BIG difference.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, get a Tahoe or Yukon (non-Denali/non-AWD) with selectable 4x4. From what I've seen here, the AWD models require more intensive periodic maintenance due to the front driveshaft/axles/pinion being in gear 100% of the time.

Also, stay away from a truck that has the auto ride air suspension in the rear. I see lots of guys on here who have ripped the entire system out and replaced it with standard shocks because the air ride system is prone to air leakage over time, with age.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Monkeyman

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Red Rider --- I live in the country and used to drive a semi truck. Even a Suburban is small. I could drive a 747 plane down the road. :)

dantheman --- I only get 16-17 with my current Blazer. Anything above that is just a bonus.

clandr1 --- I can see your point about more maintenance. The air ride issue can be fixed with a coil over conversion from Arnott (or a few others). Not that I'd want to spend extra money but the coil over conversion would be cheaper than constantly replacing problematic air suspension components.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my denali. At first I was set in deleting the awd but surprisingly its growing on me. Even though my truck is basically just a back and forth to work car I have found several uses for awd (pulling someone out that is stuck for instance).

Marv02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something to think about I just picked up an 2001 Yukon XL1500 4X4 with 5.3.

So far I like the SUV I can select 4H if wanted 4L if needed AWD If the wife driving it and 2wd most of the time.

If some thing go's wrong it a true 4X4 I can pull the rear drive shaft and run it on the front axle only same with pulling the front only if needed and run on the rear axle only.

You can't pull one of the drive shafts on full time AWD it won't move I had this problem with another SUV I had in the past.

With Full Time AWD you going go through Front diffs they wear out faster from more use all the time.

Don't get me wrong I looked real hard at an Denail my self but the Yukon or Tahoe at least for me was a better choice yes the Denali has more of the luxury stuff from the get go but I did not like the full time AWD.

But you can get an Tahoe or a Yukon just as nice just have go look at them.

As for MPG like I said My 2001 Yukon XL 4X4 with the 5.3 and 373 gears get around 14.5 to 15.8 on average.

I looked at the 6.0 sometimes I wished I went with it instead for, Towing I found the 5.3 is weak I also use to drive OTR for a little bit and also had a 1997 Ford F-350 with 7.3 Power stroke the 5.3 is down on power for towing.

I did not buy my Yukon for towing. But I towed my 700Lb street bike back home from the dealership after I pick it up pulling a U haul open trailer for 50 mile and I could feel it back there as in the weight not hauling the Yukon pulls fine with the 5.3.

In the hills it works fine there also but the 6.0 would been nice but then again you going to pay for it at the pump.

For me I leaned toward the GMC Yukon but if I found an Suburban for an better deal I would gotten that instead.

Brake_L8

Reaction score
I bought my Denali to use as a dual-duty DD and tow vehicle. I'm towing about 6k lbs at least once a month.

The pros of the Denalis include...
* 6.0L vs the 5.3. Stronger for towing and well, more power and torque is always better.
* Stronger 4L65 vs 4L60 transmission
* Standard heated leather seats and good audio system - I wanted those features and would have had to find a Z71 Tahoe or top-trim Yukon (SLT?) otherwise
* Magnetic shocks that change their response in Tow/Haul mode
* Air ride in the rear for auto load leveling
* Trans temp gauge in the cluster

The Magneride and load leveling really help with the towing, IMO. More torque and stronger trans doesn't hurt. I like having the stock trans temp gauge for the sake of towing and ensuring things are where they should be.

I do agree with the mentality of the past owner(s) caring for the truck more if it started life as a more expensive vehicle. Mine ended up being a one-owner, dealer-serviced vehicle since it was sold on day one. I still had to fix some faults but the truck largely looked new and drove well. I doubt a cloth-seat Tahoe LS would be in similar shape.

If you look, you can find them for a good deal. I paid $4k under book value with 125k on the odometer, a few months ago.

Izcain

Reaction score
I like you was searching not to long ago for a DD for the wife. I ended up picking up a Denali because it stood apart from the other grocery getters. I just wanted a little more under the hood to play with. Since nothing I have is ever left stock. Once a hot rodder always a hot rodder.

Being in the Automotive industry I know that for the most part a majority of the population does not care about their vehicles. They are lucky that they even get an oil change. I see it all the time. People buy something and use it until there is nothing left to use then toss it aside. Most people dont think of their vehicle as nothing other then a means from one place to another.

Any vehicle I buy I fully intend on having to replace anything or everything since it is used. Sometimes you luck out and get one that someone cared about and other times you get a pig in the poke. Alot can be weeded out with a trained eye.

I have driven many denalis that were totally clapped out (many were being pushed from various stealerships)

Ended up with one that has over 203k now. It drives nicer then some of the 60k ones I have driven working on them and everything else for a living. Did I get a good buy, yea pretty good I thought. Did I have to fix many many things? Absolutely! Check out my thread on it and see what you think lol

Im sure if it was a tahoe or standard yukon I would have had to do the same. It seems to me that alot of the problems are self inflicted wound by theyre own builders (if gm would make a decent transmission program then transmissions would last a whole lot longer.)

I am now to a point that I not only test drive but I have the owner of the vehicle drive the vehicle first while I watch his/her habits. For instance guy owns rig and I jump in to go for a drive. I watch how he accelerates until the point of the TCC locking up. As soon as it locks he lets off and starts the process all over again. On the gas off the gas. ******* things. No thanks I walk away. I guess I am a stickler and have been called such lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19