Denali Cluster with Heads Up Display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I did everything myself with the exception of the cluster programming. I've got a good relationship with a parts guy at one of the local dealers. He helped me verify the correct model year part numbers (I also vetted them with Chris). I purchased some stuff through my parts guy, but got the cluster and HUD unit through eBay.

It's my understanding the tach and speedo faces are glued on. I don't know if the 8" LCD screen theme colors can be changed from red to blue/green.

You will need the entire vent trim piece for the HUD buttons. For whatever reason on Tahoes, the "synthesis" silver is painted. Yukons have real overlaid aluminum.

Here's a pic of the Tahoe one.
3c8b01e75bcf84a6f60cd114d6bc9151.jpg
f125cbca73f627a3cd5987c418f1cf00.jpg
7082046b5a5383691adb0f1c448089ae.jpg
0897e3fe081f3c9f63805ba98f2df321.jpg

tomsquad418

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did everything myself with the exception of the cluster programming. I've got a good relationship with a parts guy at one of the local dealers. He helped me verify the correct model year part numbers (I also vetted them with Chris). I purchased some stuff through my parts guy, but got the cluster and HUD unit through eBay.

It's my understanding the tach and speedo faces are glued on. I don't know if the 8" LCD screen theme colors can be changed from red to blue/green.

You will need the entire vent trim piece for the HUD buttons. For whatever reason on Tahoes, the "synthesis" silver is painted. Yukons have real overlaid aluminum.

Here's a pic of the Tahoe one.
3c8b01e75bcf84a6f60cd114d6bc9151.jpg
f125cbca73f627a3cd5987c418f1cf00.jpg
7082046b5a5383691adb0f1c448089ae.jpg
0897e3fe081f3c9f63805ba98f2df321.jpg

Okay great - I don't mind where anything comes from as long as it matches the truck and looks factory. When I bought it I thought they all came with huds and had the same instrument cluster across the board being that it was an LTZ but that's not the case. Was installing everything fairly simple and plug and play related besides the wiring harness. I have zero electrical experience. So the part numbers change with the year of the vehicle not the trim, ect. I would think all GM Yukon tahoes would have the same part number for the HUD 2015- current. I don't think any of the technology has changed inside. I feel there would be no difference from 2015 to 2016. If you don't mind me asking how much was it when it was all said and done? Trying to decide if it'll be worth it and if I can justify cost especially if I can't have the cluster light to match. I'm even wondering if you can open the cluster to change out the red tach lights to blue green. Parts wise I just want what matches to look factory so if it's painted aluminum finish that works with me although aluminum overlay would have been nice from the start.

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay great - I don't mind where anything comes from as long as it matches the truck and looks factory. When I bought it I thought they all came with huds and had the same instrument cluster across the board being that it was an LTZ but that's not the case. Was installing everything fairly simple and plug and play related besides the wiring harness. I have zero electrical experience. So the part numbers change with the year of the vehicle not the trim, ect. I would think all GM Yukon tahoes would have the same part number for the HUD 2015- current. I don't think any of the technology has changed inside. I feel there would be no difference from 2015 to 2016. If you don't mind me asking how much was it when it was all said and done? Trying to decide if it'll be worth it and if I can justify cost especially if I can't have the cluster light to match. I'm even wondering if you can open the cluster to change out the red tach lights to blue green. Parts wise I just want what matches to look factory so if it's painted aluminum finish that works with me although aluminum overlay would have been nice from the start.

Installation was straightforward for the most part. Besides the two wiring connectors, there's two splices and you'll add a wire to the cluster connector. I did have to remove a small piece of the plastic dash substructure to accommodate the USB connection on the cluster.

Regarding the part numbers, that seems to be the case with the clusters. I don't recall the HUD unit being model year specific. GM likes to change part numbers for whatever reason.

You'll need the cluster, HUD unit, defrost trim, cluster visor, HUD switch and trim, plus the custom harness and USB cable. It'll take around a grand to do with the programming.

One difference OE equipped HUD vehicles have is a unique dash core support. It has tabs welded on to secure the HUD unit. However, non HUD ones do have one tab you can use a j-nut and bolt to secure it. I did mine that way and it holds just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tomsquad418

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installation was straightforward for the most part. Besides the two wiring connectors, there's two splices and you'll add a wire to the cluster connector.

Regarding the part numbers, that seems to be the case with the clusters. I don't recall the HUD unit being model year specific. GM likes to change part numbers for whatever reason.

Really hoping that's not that case and that I can run a 16/17 chevrolet cluster. I guess we need to wait and see what Chris says as it looks like I could go ahead and get everything but the cluster

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really hoping that's not that case and that I can run a 16/17 chevrolet cluster. I guess we need to wait and see what Chris says as it looks like I could go ahead and get everything but the cluster

Check my previous post again. I added more to it.

tomsquad418

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G
Check my previous post again. I added more to it.

Great - Thanks!

What is the defrost trim for...is it located up further by the hud unit? Hoping I can source most these parts from eBay or salvage vehicles to save some bones! If I can run a newer or at least Tahoe cluster I think I'd like to do this mod! Also looking to update the radio to the newer or 17 version...I like the layout better. This should cause a problem with the cluster should it? Has anyone heard if there wil eventually be an update to the technology interfaces..it seems like no as if you want the newer interface updates you'd need to buy a whole new vehicle.

Thanks

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you spending between parts and programming... $2,500 to $3k? If thats the case why not getting a newer truck with that option ready installed.
I'm just wondering...

tomsquad418

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be around 1k
If you spending between parts and programming... $2,500 to $3k? If thats the case why not getting a newer truck with that option ready installed.
I'm just wondering...

I believe it's closer to 1k and a new truck would be 5k+ IMO

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G

Great - Thanks!

What is the defrost trim for...is it located up further by the hud unit? Hoping I can source most these parts from eBay or salvage vehicles to save some bones! If I can run a newer or at least Tahoe cluster I think I'd like to do this mod! Also looking to update the radio to the newer or 17 version...I like the layout better. This should cause a problem with the cluster should it? Has anyone heard if there wil eventually be an update to the technology interfaces..it seems like no as if you want the newer interface updates you'd need to buy a whole new vehicle.

Thanks

It's the trim piece that fits between the dash pad and windshield. It has the dash speaker grilles in it. It's needed because the HUD specific cluster visor won't fit with the one you have. It's opening is also larger most likely to accommodate the HUD unit.

Here's a thread at GM-Trucks.com where I detail the swap.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/199229-hud-in-silveradosierra/

Here's a thread that discusses putting the Denali cluster in a non-Denali vehicle.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/190465-denali-cluster-in-slt/?hl=denali+cluster

I'm just wondering...

It cost me approx. what I stated above. I believe the HUD and cluster prices have gone up a bit with the eBay seller I used. If you pay full retail dealer prices (and they actually sell you the cluster) I can see it getting in that range.

Last edited:

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much props to you cmatt. It looks like some intensive work.
My head hurts from looking up all your pictures... and this is coming from a guy that take cars apart for a living.