Delete AFM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad_idea

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2l. I recently purchased it and am new to the platform. I have read the AFM system is problematic and is best to delete it. There is nothing wrong with the vehicle currently. Can I get one of those tuners that turns it off and call it good? Or do I need to pull out the AFM lifters and associated bits? I would like a hand held tuner that I can plug in, make the changes, and unplug it. I will use the truck for hauling a trailer on road trips, so if the tuner has functionality to improve towing that would be a plus. Thanks for the help all.

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The simple answer is yes, you can buy a dongle that plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash and disable cylinder deactivation.
I did this in 2020 when I bought my '17 Yukon used with 32,000 miles.
The real answer is in order to completely delete the DOD, VVT is to change camshaft, lifters and a laundry list of other parts including oil pump, to make it all work, followed by a tune.
I just dropped my Yukon Denali off yesterday to a performance shop to have this done.
There are DIY guys out there that may be able to help more.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a RANGE Device in my 2017 Denali when it was 2 years old at 40k. Now has 130k and has been great. Keep your oil clean as well. 5k or less with 5w-30 is what I use. I speculate that the thinner oil used to make better CAFE numbers isn't really all that great in the long run.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a mechanical AFM delete on my 2012 and took advantage of the opportunity to put a slightly bigger cam in it worth around 50hp and tq for better towing performance. It's made a huge difference in how much I enjoy driving the truck. Parts cost was around $1500. If/when I buy a newer rig, I will do the same thing again.

Midwest

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The simple answer is yes, you can buy a dongle that plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash and disable cylinder deactivation.
I did this in 2020 when I bought my '17 Yukon used with 32,000 miles.
The real answer is in order to completely delete the DOD, VVT is to change camshaft, lifters and a laundry list of other parts including oil pump, to make it all work, followed by a tune.
I just dropped my Yukon Denali off yesterday to a performance shop to have this done.
There are DIY guys out there that may be able to help more.
Curious if you'd be able to share what it cost you to have a shop do the mechanical side of the delete?

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if you'd be able to share what it cost you to have a shop do the mechanical side of the delete?
I had the work done at a performance shop. Stage 1 BTR camshaft, springs, lifters, oil pump and a list of smaller items were replaced. All told just over $6,000 for parts and labor. They removed the engine from the vehicle, the tune was done on a dyno.

natureclone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did a mechanical AFM delete on my 2012 and took advantage of the opportunity to put a slightly bigger cam in it worth around 50hp and tq for better towing performance. It's made a huge difference in how much I enjoy driving the truck. Parts cost was around $1500. If/when I buy a newer rig, I will do the same thing again.
Which cam did you use? Did it require a tune?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yes, it did require a tune. I used Blackbear. I used their device to log a specified drive cycle before I did the work, then sent them the cam specs. They sent me back a tune that would get me up and running, and then I used their device to log a new drive cycle and they sent me back the finished/complete tune for the cam.

natureclone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And yes, it did require a tune. I used Blackbear. I used their device to log a specified drive cycle before I did the work, then sent them the cam specs. They sent me back a tune that would get me up and running, and then I used their device to log a new drive cycle and they sent me back the finished/complete tune for the cam.
Thanks for that info!