Decent OEM or OEM-like headlamps and housings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My headlights in my 07 Yukon XL are milky and one has a leak where water is getting in. Time to replace them. I found these on ebay with a 90 day warranty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-07-14-Y...ash=item51e25afe53:g:C7cAAOSwI3RW-V1k&vxp=mtr

And then I found NSF and CAPA certified headlamp housings from Rock Auto. No idea what the warranty is:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,10762?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+/

All three headlights are pretty close in price. Ebay is about $75 each shipped. And the ones from Rock are $70 and $84 before shipping. But what is NSF and CAPA certified? and why do I need it? It sounds like something I need.

Which one should I get? None of the three? I'm not a big fan of anything brighter. In fact I'd like to punch every driver with those super bright blue headlights in the neck. I mean I guess if it was a little brighter for the same price that's fine. But I have no need to pay extra for more than factory lighting. I'm fine with it.

Thank you for any help you might have. And if you've got those super bright blue headlights my apologies. But I still want to punch you in the neck every time you blind me into almost running head on into a parked car. LOL. ;)

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock Auto has on the L/side...........made by various mfg. TYC which is Tang Yang China, and @ the bottom, Dorman which would be my choice. A little more but NOT made by children in China . CAPA certified was created for insurance companies in order to use aftermarket parts on your vehicle, just a bunch of BULL. JMHO and good luck.
David g.......................:)

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're basically the same thing and should produce the same amount of light. To get any actual better light you'll need to do/get a retrofit.

OP
OP
M

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a "retrofit'?

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll either get the Dorman or the Ebay ones. I can't find warranty info on the Dorman ones. The Ebay ones have a 90 day. I'll contact RA. Any idea where and how the Dormans' are made?

Got this off the Rock Auto site:

For extra confidence, some TYC lamps are certified (denoted in catalog) by independent agencies NSF, who examines product development and manufacturing processes to ensure product quality, or CAPA, who tests parts for material properties, fit, finish, paint adhesion, coating performance, weld integrity, adhesive performance and corrosion."

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
M

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I clicked on the first link and it quoted $999 for the upgrade. Is there a cheaper option? I'm looking at $150 headlamp housings and bulbs from ebay. And these are a grand. If there was something in the $200-$250 range that was an upgrade light wise I'd consider it. But I have other areas of the vehicle that need money more than the headlights at the moment.

Your truck looks great with them. And I'm sure the light output is phenomenal. But I have a laundry list of upgrades I want to do. And I'm pretty ok with the headlights as they are. But again if there was something in a "hundred or so more" category I would gladly consider it.

I have not looked at the DIY thread yet. But neither of my housings are candidates as both are milky and one is letting water in.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
M

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm stuck with stock for the time being then. Just to many other things to spend money on on the truck. Darn it. And if I did a rebuild I'd have buy a fresh set of stock ones too. To much for the time being. Thanks for all the help. Sincerely appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts