Dealer tried to rip me off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A load of crap, brake fluid does need to be flushed every few years or so, attracts moisture. If that happens, though, it turns greenish.

Also, tie rod ends are fairly easy to replace and if you count the treads you can install a new one to the same spec and possibly get away w/o an alignment. But, i usually get an alignment with any change to a steering component.

Did they show u the "cracked" tie-rod end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

This, just did an oil change in the rain, still better then going to the dealer or other.

Also, better then the following day when rain turned to 8" of snow and 16 deg temps. ;-)

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A load of crap, brake fluid does need to be flushed every few years or so, attracts moisture. If that happens, though, it turns greenish.

Also, tie rod ends are fairly easy to replace and if you count the treads you can install a new one to the same spec and possibly get away w/o an alignment. But, i usually get an alignment with any change to a steering component.

Did they show u the "cracked" tie-rod end?

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

This, just did an oil change in the rain, still better then going to the dealer or other.

Also, better then the following day when rain turned to 8" of snow and 16 deg temps. ;-)

Now I feel better about doing my oil change today in the "COLD" 35*, hey that's cold for us.

Sho'Tyme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though you did something good for the people and it's not about a freebie ...they should still be held accountable for there action....personally I would speak with gm about the problem and demand I be reimbursed my money except the expense for the oil change...just just my opinion ...:hmmm2:

DennisW1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wonder if the gm people on the forum pick up on this and "try" to help

They might read it but their hands are pretty much tied when it comes to normal customer-paid shop work. That's not in the scope of GM's warranty program so they really don't have much control over individual shop practices unless they affect warranty repairs. Remember, dealerships are basically independent businesses, GM has no control over their daily business dealings.

The local Better Business Bureau would be the best place to file complaints about such shady business practices, and if you think you were actually ripped off or were a victim of fraud you could file a complaint with your local police dept.

Personally I'd take it to the level of standing on the owner's desk until I got my money back if necessary. Often they're so insulated from the daily activities in their service departments that they don't even realize crap like this is going on.

I would have also told the guy to shove the bill for the air cleaner up his ass. Since you were not consulted about it and did not authorize the repair/replacement you are not liable for his taking up on himself to add more charges to your bill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SuperKal

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed response, am chilling in Florida with the family.
Great responses from everyone, some great advice.

I do feel like a bit of an idiot for not pursuing it further there and then but I was in a rush since I had a lot to do before leaving for vacation

Here are some additional comments:

Yes, I should have told them to stick it....
Yes, I should have refused to pay....
Yes, I should have asked to see the parts....
Yes I think I will call GM. Even though they probably can't do much, I am sure the dealer principal will be made aware of it.
I am also going to call and ask the service manager if he looked into it.
I used to do all my own work in my younger days but with work being really busy, having no spare time and generally not being able to roll around under the car, I prefer to have someone do the work.

This has been a good dealer to date and happens to be the largest in my area. I would prefer to still go to them since I don't think anyone else can compare. Maybe I should start using a small private mechanic. My warranty is over anyway.

Thanks again for the great replies everyone and I will keep you in the loop with anytjing further when I get back next week.

Cheers all.

Kal.

p.s. GM, if you are reading this, get involved and show everyone you do care!

DennisW1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed response, am chilling in Florida with the family.
Great responses from everyone, some great advice.

I do feel like a bit of an idiot for not pursuing it further there and then but I was in a rush since I had a lot to do before leaving for vacation

Here are some additional comments:

Yes, I should have told them to stick it....
Yes, I should have refused to pay....
Yes, I should have asked to see the parts....
Yes I think I will call GM. Even though they probably can't do much, I am sure the dealer principal will be made aware of it.
I am also going to call and ask the service manager if he looked into it.
I used to do all my own work in my younger days but with work being really busy, having no spare time and generally not being able to roll around under the car, I prefer to have someone do the work.

This has been a good dealer to date and happens to be the largest in my area. I would prefer to still go to them since I don't think anyone else can compare. Maybe I should start using a small private mechanic. My warranty is over anyway.

Thanks again for the great replies everyone and I will keep you in the loop with anytjing further when I get back next week.

Cheers all.

Kal.

p.s. GM, if you are reading this, get involved and show everyone you do care!

No need to feel badly, you did what you felt was right at the moment.
I would again strongly urge you to take your concerns to the dealership owner(s), not just the service department. While it may not give you any monetary relief, the people whos names are on the sign need to know what kind of ******** their public image is being covered in by dishonest stuff like they pulled on you.

Enjoy Florida, those of us still up to our eyeballs in snow envy you
:Frustrated:

leftysrepsol

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A good mechanic is hard to find, just like a good electrician, plumber, doctor...etc,etc. As far as asking to see the old parts, if a place is going to try and screw you over like that, I'm sure they have a box of worn out parts somewhere they pull things out of to show customers. You should get a Chiltons book on your vehicles and a service/repair manual and try to do as much yourself as you can.

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A service advisor has a job to generate as much work for the service department as possible. He gets a commission on all the orders he writes up. He probably looked up the service history and those items were "flagged" as being over the recommended mileage. He just thought he could get you to "buy" into the "safety" aspect of the work as you may have told him you were going on a road trip.
Lessons learned.. Know what needs to be done and only do what is needed. Remember it is all about making a buck for the dealer. Reminds me of the time the service advisor tried to get me to get the injectors cleaned at 30K miles on my Silverado... only $125 LOL I added a bottle of cleaner the next fill up..$5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts