Dealer is at wit's end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2016 Tahoe's lift gate was acting up and took it to the dealer for a fix. Over the last few months they have changed out the lift gate actuator, module, struts, and latch, rear fuse block, and both battery positive cables. Fortunately I bought an extended warranty with the Tahoe and this hasn't cost me anything. However, the lift gate still does not work properly. The dealer even consulted a GM engineer on this. Everyone is stumped. Any ideas?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have they gone over the grounds of the system? Especially if you live in an area that uses salt on the roads

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you be more specific on what the issue is, other than simply 'acting up'? Specifically, what is it doing that it should not be doing, and specifically what does it still do correctly? is there any difference in its acting up when you use the FOB versus the overhead switch, versus the door activation switch? etc.

OP
OP
F

freods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can you be more specific on what the issue is, other than simply 'acting up'? Specifically, what is it doing that it should not be doing, and specifically what does it still do correctly? is there any difference in its acting up when you use the FOB versus the overhead switch, versus the door activation switch? etc.
The lift gate rarely works with the fob. Sometimes nothing happens, other times it will unlock and stop. The interior switch works most of the time both opening and shutting the lift gate, but at times it too will not open the lift gate. The switch on the lift gate will start to close the lift gate but oftentimes it will stop closing a third or half the way down. When these things happen the DIC states that the lift gate switch is off, but of course it isn't.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lift gate rarely works with the fob. Sometimes nothing happens, other times it will unlock and stop. The interior switch works most of the time both opening and shutting the lift gate, but at times it too will not open the lift gate. The switch on the lift gate will start to close the lift gate but oftentimes it will stop closing a third or half the way down. When these things happen the DIC states that the lift gate switch is off, but of course it isn't.
if it says the switch is off but it is not that might be your problem

Gearz

Reaction score
Was the truck ever in a rear, front or side collision? Even if the car fax says no you need to have a qualified auto body person examine it because it could be okay electrically but not body Wise. Make sure the frames not bent or pieced together somewhere. If there stumped then it‘s something weird.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Tahoe's lift gate was acting up and took it to the dealer for a fix. Over the last few months they have changed out the lift gate actuator, module, struts, and latch, rear fuse block, and both battery positive cables. Fortunately I bought an extended warranty with the Tahoe and this hasn't cost me anything. However, the lift gate still does not work properly. The dealer even consulted a GM engineer on this. Everyone is stumped. Any ideas?
My power liftgate only acts up in the winter, issue showed up last winter. Then when the weather got consistently warm in the late spring, the issue disappeared. It's starting to show it's head again this fall as the temperature drops.

The "cold weather" symptoms I experience are: Unit sounds different, sounds like it's straining when it opens OR closes, just sounds weaker in general and also operates more slowly. And occasionally the lift gate will "think" it encounters resistance and stop lowering and go back up and alert the DIC with dinging noises.

Gearz

Reaction score
So what happens when you try to assist the gate up when using the fob?

Gearz

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is to check the park neutral switch and see if the input is correct at the tailgate module because the tailgate won‘t open if the truck is in drive reverse and so on So maybe it’s gets skewed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10