Dead tahoe !!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelvin granville

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, and ladies, recently my trusty 2000 tahoe limited 5.7 vortec, decided not to start, i done a diagnostic cheak and got codes p0336 p0339 crank sensor intermittent signal, and crank sensor circuit, where retrieved, done a test on the wires going to sensor i have 12.23 volts at pink wire with ignition on and a good ground, am i right in saying the sensors gone bad? Or could it be something else? Any help would be much appreciated!.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
If you have access to an oscilloscope you can probe the wires at the sensor during cranking. If it checks out there, do it again at the ECU

Check pin tension at the plug as well

And as a sanity check: Be sure the crank sensor is free of debris. I forget if it's an inductive or hall effect sensor but either way, the reasoning is the same: Any ferrous debris on the sensor will interfere with its ability to read

p.s. this should be in the OBS forum

OP
OP
Kelvin granville

Kelvin granville

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks snowdrifter, i,ll test for a signal next after the holidays, also noticed i have a slight water leak , looks like intake gaskets!!!! Sorry for posting wrong place im still trying to find my way around this forum.

Lancem

Reaction score
My experience is that it will be the sensor. I had one case where the insulation on the wires had gone bad and come off due to being oil soaked for so long and they shorted. When you pull the sensor check the end and see if it has any strike marks on it, as the bearings wear the reluctor wheel may come in contact with the sensor, damaging it. If you find this damage be sure to buy a replacement sensor that comes with shims so you can space it out to keep it from being damaged also.

OP
OP
Kelvin granville

Kelvin granville

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help ' new sensor turned up today so hopefully she'll be running again tomorrow!!!!! Will keep you posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz