dead tahoe ( more like zombie)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seahawksax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum, i hang out mostly on camaroz28.com. but anyways heres my prob. I have a 2005 tahoe lt with the air ride. The other day i was sitting in my tahoe waiting to pick my wife up i was listening to the radio with the truck on the acc posiion. Nothing else running. For about 30 min. I have done this for hours b4. Well this time it began to go nuts so i tried to start it up and that killed it gave me the click of dead battery.. i was like no way!! So i got some one to jump me. The second they hookednup i gotgood voltage and it started right up. Drove it around to make sure the alt charged the bat up good...then drove home.. about 9 hrs later i crank it up to go to work...no problems.. get off work for lunch break 6 hrs later and its acting dead again. Drove it home and havent messed with it for a few days..it wont even take keyless entry signals right now obviously its dead again but i have no clue why

OP
OP
S

seahawksax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Two years old maybe... but could be the factory one bought it used... my radio and memory seats stayed saved i thought that always ruled the battery out

1993 supercharged camaro z28

Splatmaster527

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it could have the lil bit of juice it needs to keep those going but not enough to actually crank the starter
kinda like a 12V flashlight battery lol

OP
OP
S

seahawksax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lol uggh new battery it is dang nab it

robrr44

Reaction score
Two years old maybe... but could be the factory one bought it used... my radio and memory seats stayed saved i thought that always ruled the battery out

Radio and seat memory aren't affected by a dead battery. I did some work on my Yukon last weekend and disconnected the battery because I was also going to clean the MAF. When I reconnected the battery my radio presets were still stored as were my driver seat memories. However, my clock did reset. So it could be your battery even though you haven't lost presets or seat memory.

OP
OP
S

seahawksax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guess i will try replacing it...ive been going over and over and over connections and fuses and testing grounds... just didnt want to buy a battery and have it drawn down again

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I am afraid it more than just a radio in the newer vehicles. Specific to the Tahoe, when you put that key in accessory position you are activating or sending power to the Body Control Module, PCM electronics transmission electronics, Theft deterrent, Wipers and Special equipment relays if installed.

Each time you drain it that long with out starting you are removing "starting current capacity" from your battery and over time it weaken its starting ability more and more until it just can't hold up any more. If you intend on doing this all the time a deep cycle replacement would be in order since it does not suffer the same ill effects over a longer life.

While you could have something else wrong of course I believe this should be your primary concern. A battery load test would confirm the fault and is free at most parts stores. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gmsteve-1