Dead on side of road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude you need to grow up. Don't get mad. It's not a popularity contest. Just a matter of who's right and who's wrong. I'm also not sure why you even comment on the 21+ forum when you have no experience with the platform.

You don't add anything meaningful to the discussion except wrong answers. And then clutter the post with name calling like a little kid.

Alternator runs the car and charges the battery. The battery only exists to start the engine. An alternator can keep a car running by its own voltage output. Battery has nothing to do with that except to be a load on the circuit when vehicle is running. If a car is started and battery dies because of a bad cell etc the car won't just die. Why do you think an alternator puts out more than 12 volts? Gotta know what your talking about. Now if an alternator dies while the car is running the car will die as soon as the battery dips below 12v.

But whatever dude over here knows things lol..smh

Here's another link to clear it up for you. It has pics too. https://theengineeringmindset.com/car-alternator-how-alternators-work/
Bye, angry little troll.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternator runs the car and charges the battery. The battery only exists to start the engine. An alternator can keep a car running by its own voltage output. Battery has nothing to do with that except to be a load on the circuit when vehicle is running. If a car is started and battery dies because of a bad cell etc the car won't just die. Why do you think an alternator puts out more than 12 volts? Gotta know what your talking about. Now if an alternator dies while the car is running the car will die as soon as the battery dips below 12v.

Here's another link to clear it up for you. It has pics too. https://theengineeringmindset.com/car-alternator-how-alternators-work/
I have read on some newer vehicles w/ electric steering that the alternator itself may not have enough current supplying capability to handle heavy steering loads (think full crank to full crank left to right or vice versa, like in a parking lot at low speed), and the battery provides some of the absent power in this case. Because it is a pretty short duration event, they designed it this way and they let the battery discharge a bit in this case (may or may not be true for this particular platform, but read that somewhere else.)

Reality is, on newer vehicles for everything to be robust and happy, both a good alternator and a good battery are required...but generally I agree w/ DuraYuk, that once the vehicle is running, the alternator should handle most all of it's electrical loads. The battery provides a good stable 12V system, though, given it's charge storage capability.

I also agree w/ DuraYuk that childish/back and forth garbage in the forums, without adding meaningful content does little to help this wonderful community.

mtcatgriz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2023 Duramax High Country, less than 1 month old, approx 2200 miles. periodic check engine light and 2 instances of “limp mode” (top speed of 62mph). Went to start this afternoon and wouldn’t crank but flashed every warning message possible. 30 min later, started, drove 2 miles and died, again flashing every warning message. 45 wait for tow, and driver was able to start and put on back of flat bed. Transmission warning seemed to be prominent. Thoughts?
Unfortunately I have the same trouble with my 2021 Yukon Diesel with about 67,000 miles. Onstar notified me via the display that I had an Onstar software update. We proceeded and that’s when all the trouble started. Steering engine transmission etc. That was over a month ago. It sat at the dealer for a month with no action. Lastly week they said it was un fixable due to lack of parts for a transmission defect. I requested a buy back. I went to my local GMC dealer and made a call from my cell on speaker phone from their show room. The call lasted quite some time. There was a lot of hold time, but the salesman and all the customers were there to help pass the time. By closing time the problem was not resolved and as I departed I told them I would see them every day in their show room until the problem was resolved. GMC regional manager called me promptly the next morning and told me I would get the buyback plus my expenses (approaching $5,000). I was to get a written response by today. No joy yet

OP
OP
D

dc968

Reaction score
Got the rig back today. Fortunately part had been ordered/shipped b/f the UAW expanded their strike. 2 mile drive home was uneventful. Hopefully there is no “part 2” to this thread.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mind posting the service notes? Usually the tech does a pretty comprehensive write-up of all the diagnostics they did to determine the problem. I’m a bit surprised this was caused by the brake controller module…

OP
OP
D

dc968

Reaction score
Part 2, unfortunately under new thread, “Dead again”. Don’t think they found the issue…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019