Dead on side of road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2023 Duramax High Country, less than 1 month old, approx 2200 miles. periodic check engine light and 2 instances of “limp mode” (top speed of 62mph). Went to start this afternoon and wouldn’t crank but flashed every warning message possible. 30 min later, started, drove 2 miles and died, again flashing every warning message. 45 wait for tow, and driver was able to start and put on back of flat bed. Transmission warning seemed to be prominent. Thoughts?

Very strange for a Duramax.

OP
OP
D

dc968

Reaction score
@dc968 did you push the onstar button and have them run a diagnosis and email you the results? Assuming you still have a CEL showing
I did not ask them to run a report. Didn’t think to. I did use the button to call roadside and get a flatbed.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A battery starts the engine. Not the alternator. The alternator keeps the battery charged. Without a good battery the engine and all the electronics will not work correctly. So no, the alternator does not “run” the engine, as soon as it dies or tried to restart, the alternator is useless without a battery. With all the extra voltage requirements these new vehicles need, it’s no wonder that we see so many battery issues.

OP
OP
D

dc968

Reaction score
So after a number of update calls from local dealer (not where I bought it) keeping me up to speed on what they were chasing down w/GM I’ve been told the problem is a faulty electronic brake controller module. Part is apparently back ordered. They told me at least 2 more weeks To get part. I’m in a new LS loaner at least so have the space but none of the options. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A battery starts the engine. Not the alternator. The alternator keeps the battery charged. Without a good battery the engine and all the electronics will not work correctly. So no, the alternator does not “run” the engine, as soon as it dies or tried to restart, the alternator is useless without a battery. With all the extra voltage requirements these new vehicles need, it’s no wonder that we see so many battery issues.
The alternator runs the electrics and charges the battery. So yes it does absolutely run the car. https://www.thedrive.com/tech/7298/what-does-a-cars-alternator-do

Weird that his issue Is attributed to brake controller. We will see if that's the fix.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go away silly little troll. Stop parroting. Your mom called you up from her basement for dinner.
Shut up and learn something. All your posts are bs people come here to get real info not your false answers.

Last edited:

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bye troll. Everyone knows who you are. Don’t go away mad, just go away.
Dude you need to grow up. Don't get mad. It's not a popularity contest. Just a matter of who's right and who's wrong. I'm also not sure why you even comment on the 21+ forum when you have no experience with the platform.

You don't add anything meaningful to the discussion except wrong answers. And then clutter the post with name calling like a little kid.

Alternator runs the car and charges the battery. The battery only exists to start the engine. An alternator can keep a car running by its own voltage output. Battery has nothing to do with that except to be a load on the circuit when vehicle is running. If a car is started and battery dies because of a bad cell etc the car won't just die. Why do you think an alternator puts out more than 12 volts? Gotta know what your talking about. Now if an alternator dies while the car is running the car will die as soon as the battery dips below 12v.

But whatever dude over here knows things lol..smh

Here's another link to clear it up for you. It has pics too. https://theengineeringmindset.com/car-alternator-how-alternators-work/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo