Damper Harmonic Balancer Bent Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juan_carlos__007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did some work on my sibling's 2007 Tahoe with 5.3 Flex Fuel LMG and noticed the a/c tensioner bouncing while idling, then I noticed the harmonic balancer wobbles. Placed a slotted screwdriver on the very end of harmonic balancer and sure enough it comes in contact non continuosly. I was replacing the a/c belt with a gates green one meant for trucks because they're stronger and I know it has not been more than 2 years and the old belt is already going bad dry rotting and missing grooves. I did a search the forum and found nothing, has anyone else experienced this problem?

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on the severity of what your seeing. tensioners generally will have some wiggle to them especially when they start to get a chunk of mileage on them. ive seen numerous harmonic balancer wobbles and a couple complete separations. my experience there isnt gm specific tho so as per your question if its a common thing i couldn't tell you here. what your seeing isn't a bend tho the design is a solid metal ring then a rubber ring then the harmonic balancee and such is pressed over that. the outer ring has shifted a bit or has always been shifted so its not making a smooth rotation. ive seen brand new ones with a bit of a wobble to them and they were used with no adverse effects. im assuming they should be perfectly smooth so ive never used one personally that wasn't perfect but thats me.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it’s not causing a problem, why worry. You said the ac belt was dry rotting so the balancer isn’t the issue with that. Tensioners sometimes bounce a bit, that’s normal.

OP
OP
J

juan_carlos__007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
depends on the severity of what your seeing. tensioners generally will have some wiggle to them especially when they start to get a chunk of mileage on them. ive seen numerous harmonic balancer wobbles and a couple complete separations. my experience there isnt gm specific tho so as per your question if its a common thing i couldn't tell you here. what your seeing isn't a bend tho the design is a solid metal ring then a rubber ring then the harmonic balancee and such is pressed over that. the outer ring has shifted a bit or has always been shifted so its not making a smooth rotation. ive seen brand new ones with a bit of a wobble to them and they were used with no adverse effects. im assuming they should be perfectly smooth so ive never used one personally that wasn't perfect but thats me.
I was told there was a recall or TSB about it which I can't find. I just believe everything with engine rotating assemblies and related should be true. There has always been a complain of engine vibration but since there is no active trouble codes for a misfire I did not worry about it. I just dont want to replace it and see ir wobbling with a new one and GM saying o is completely normal like theyre always leaking and oil burning ls based engines. Maybe an aftermarket is the solution.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told there was a recall or TSB about it which I can't find. I just believe everything with engine rotating assemblies and related should be true. There has always been a complain of engine vibration but since there is no active trouble codes for a misfire I did not worry about it. I just dont want to replace it and see ir wobbling with a new one and GM saying o is completely normal like theyre always leaking and oil burning ls based engines. Maybe an aftermarket is the solution.

if you buy one locally bring a straight edge or some good calipers. the inner ring and outer ring can be measured prior to installation to see if its true all the way around. if its not refuse to but it.

OP
OP
J

juan_carlos__007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if you buy one locally bring a straight edge or some good calipers. the inner ring and outer ring can be measured prior to installation to see if its true all the way around. if its not refuse to but it.
That's what I was thinking like puting it on a level surface and puting either on crank end or pulley end

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14