D-Pillar speaker revisit - purpose and connections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copy. So if I was to get an amp to connect to the wiring at the bose amp, what ohms should those d-pillar speakers be to run a 4 ohm load to the amp, with the fact that i'm already running 4 ohm speakers at the doors. I understand if I dont connect any d-pillar speakers, it will be a 4 ohm load going to amp.

On another note, I also think its safe to assume that the d-pillar speakers are considered "fillers" not because of the way the bose amp has them configured (since they share the channel) but rather because of their small size, they can only play a limited frequency? I guess there could be a capacitor connected somewhere too but I didnt see anything out of the norm on the speaker side, maybe the difference is at the door. Using stock wiring, I want to make sure we ONLY limited on frequency by speaker's ability perform and nothing else, if we changed out speakers and amp.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Copy. So if I was to get an amp to connect to the wiring at the bose amp, what ohms should those d-pillar speakers be to run a 4 ohm load to the amp, with the fact that i'm already running 4 ohm speakers at the doors. I understand if I dont connect any d-pillar speakers, it will be a 4 ohm load going to amp.

On another note, I also think its safe to assume that the d-pillar speakers are considered "fillers" not because of the way the bose amp has them configured (since they share the channel) but rather because of their small size, they can only play a limited frequency? I guess there could be a capacitor connected somewhere too but I didnt see anything out of the norm on the speaker side, maybe the difference is at the door. Using stock wiring, I want to make sure we ONLY limited on frequency by speaker's ability perform and nothing else, if we changed out speakers and amp.

You would need to run a 120 ohm D-pillar speaker with the 4 ohm door speaker to get 3.9 ohms at the amp.... lol

Conversely an 8 ohm speaker in both locations would give you 4 ohms at the amp.

OR you could get an amp that is stable at 2 ohms and run two 4 ohm speakers.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMAO @ 120 ohm

The 3rd option seems best since I still need an amp. I never seen 8 ohm coaxials nor components or never bothered to look. Appreciate the feedback.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share that I was trying to set gains on my amp and when I used HU to turn my rear speakers off (pioneer 4200 nex has this option), the volume goes lower but does not turn off all the way. Any reason why? I'm guessing the d-pillar speakers are not considered rear in the wiring setup? so sound still comes across? How can wiring alone determine which speakers are rear and which ones are not? This makes me think the d-pillar speakers have a different input into the bose amp, right? If they were all wired together as 'rear speakers', turning rear speakers off should cut them all off, not just 1 set. This is beyond a cross over that can just turn off certain frequencies. HOw would this be possible if they come into amp as the same signal????

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding all speakers in general, I would play 40 hz test tones and hear sound from front components which are set at 80 hz HPF. I understand there is a roll off/slope but didnt think I would hear. Same on the opposite side where 100 hz plays on sub taht is set for 80 hz LPF. Is this all due to slope? I have slope at highest setting (I think 18 or 24). I literally have to turn sub off or unplug front rca's to stop them from making sound. Amp is fully open but set the HU crossovers.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even at "only" an 18dB slope, a 40Mhz difference should be cut. Maybe raise the center frequency of the high-pass and adjust the slope to bring in the lower (lower as in mid, not sub) frequencies? Of course, you'd do the opposite on the sub crossover. Maybe the center frequencies of both are too close, regardless what they're labeled as on the HU.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try that. I was using a youtube test tone so not sure if the source playing makes a difference. I'll test highter frequencies to see what happens. I am happy so far with the current setup which actually has overlapping front/rear > 80, sub < 100
But was just surprised that speakers werent doing what I expected them to do.

But regarding this topic, what does that say about the rear, if turning rear off from HU doesnt truly turn rear off? I dont have dpillar speakers connected anymore so whatever would have come out of them is probably now coming out of rear doors but I thought everything rear would be turned off. All wiring I seen only discusses rear speakers, no additional wiring for d-pillar. Does this mean D-pillar has its own independent setup? I'm lost because this is not a frequency/slope issue. Rear either should be turned on or off, not halfway....

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would need to run a 120 ohm D-pillar speaker with the 4 ohm door speaker to get 3.9 ohms at the amp.... lol

Conversely an 8 ohm speaker in both locations would give you 4 ohms at the amp.

OR you could get an amp that is stable at 2 ohms and run two 4 ohm speakers.

So I currently have my Helix components connected to PPI 900.4 2 channels @ 4 ohm. This is 4 ohm set but without crossover. I assume they still are 4 ohms even without the crossover connected? They just have a capacitor limiting what tweets get. I have some Infinity tweets I got for free that I will hook up in d-pillar. They show 150 watts max. I believe this will have them running in parallel @ 2 ohms which will be 225 watts per channel. Thats about 115 watts for each set. Should be interesting :)