Cylinder 7 misfire...I think it's bad...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, popped a SES light last week. Happened randomly on the way home. 225k on motor.

Cylinder 7 misfire. Plug is clean but changed anyway. Coil was swapped with another cylinder...no change in miss. Changed wires...no change. I also put new injectors in all 8 cylinders. My mech friend checked injector pulse & it was good. No oil consumption, no bad mileage.

Compression tested 3 times...varied from 125 to 155. From what I understand 120 is low, 100 is what GM says is dead minimum.

I think I have collapsed lifters. While doing all this testing the top end in the #7 area started ticking...kinda verifying my worst thought.

Any suggestions?

I'm hunting for a new motor...but just wondering if I'm missing something.

Cameron

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you covered it all. lifters going bad arent exactly a phenomenon with these motors. do you have another vehicle to drive? why not pull the heads if so to see if its fixable. freshen up the top end, get a good valve job, make sure their flat and throw them back on. worst case youll know if you need a new motor when the head comes off.

Chiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be a bent pushrod. Broken rocker. Broken valve spring. Pull the valve cover and see what you've got.

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem and turned out to be a loose spark plug cap ( the threaded little cap that screws on top of the plug) if memory serves me correct i think these were some bosch plugs i installed so i replaced all the plugs with ac delco and was running like a champ after that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr