CV joint boot material

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, All. The outer cv boot on the driver's side front axle has come loose at some point. No idea how long ago, so with all the dust I have I'm going to replace the entire shaft assembly. I'm looking at the NAPA units, and they are showing two boot material options: 1) OEM neoprene, and 2) thermoplastic. Any experience and/or suggestions as to which one to get? Thanks.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, All. The outer cv boot on the driver's side front axle has come loose at some point. No idea how long ago, so with all the dust I have I'm going to replace the entire shaft assembly. I'm looking at the NAPA units, and they are showing two boot material options: 1) OEM neoprene, and 2) thermoplastic. Any experience and/or suggestions as to which one to get? Thanks.
I’ve always gone with the heavier duty thermoplastic.

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Had the exact same question about a year ago didn’t find too much about it for our trucks.

On other forums I found that some people reported having issues with the thermoplastic not staying secured with the crimped straps. I ended up going with neoprene but this truck will see very little need for heavy duty thermoplastic... I hope lol

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the exact same question about a year ago didn’t find too much about it for our trucks.

On other forums I found that some people reported having issues with the thermoplastic not staying secured with the crimped straps. I ended up going with neoprene but this truck will see very little need for heavy duty thermoplastic... I hope lol
Thanks for the response, Kacey. I've read the same thing about the bands securing the thermoplastic boots. My driveway and the road to the highway combined, I have nearly a mile of dirt road to travel daily. My concern with the neoprene is all the dust and grit during the summer, and the mud during the winter. I don't know how well the neoprene would hold up to that.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Wade, I was thinking about going this route until I read about the boot bands failing at a higher rate than on the neoprene boots. Have you seen any issues with the bands?
I went to the thermoplastic after I had a band fail on a CV shaft with neoprene within 2 weeks of installation. Local NAPA store took the CV shaft back no questions asked and I only paid the delta in cost to go with the thermoplastic. I have used these on my old 2004 Silverado and my old 2007 Yukon Denali. I had about 100K on the Denali shafts when I traded it in.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the thermoplastic after I had a band fail on a CV shaft with neoprene within 2 weeks of installation. Local NAPA store took the CV shaft back no questions asked and I only paid the delta in cost to go with the thermoplastic. I have used these on my old 2004 Silverado and my old 2007 Yukon Denali. I had about 100K on the Denali shafts when I traded it in.
I went ahead and bought the HD thermoplastic units. Thanks again, Wade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission