Cv axle !!!?????!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ottobotiv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my front right cv axle broke at the barings at the wheel and was wondering if I Remove the cv can I still drive it short distances while I wait to get the part. e78d5cb7d1c74fe2d575ace6d568b35c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CVs bolt to flanges on the carrier, that sides not the issue.

On 4wd GM trucks the CV holds the front bearing together. If you try driving without it the bearing will separate and wheel will fall off. If it was just the shaft or joint housing that broke you could keep the wheel end on as long as the axle nut is still tight (thereby holding the wheel assembly together). Hard to tell by the picture if that will work or not.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot they had the flange! If you can remove the broken piece, but still leave the part that actually goes in to the carrier that the piece that goes into the wheel bearing, I would think you would be fine. You can probably do all of it without even having to remove the wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aye_rod