Cut Tire w/less than 500 Miles on Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I got my new 2021 Tahoe Premiere about 2.5 weeks ago and took it on it's first road trip down to a friend's place about 60 miles away and when we were driving around that city, we parked somewhere and I could hear air coming out of one of my 22" tires.

We were next to Sam's Club so asked them if they could patch it quick...they checked it out and somehow the tire is split from the tread area through the sidewall. The tire lady there who looked at it seemed pretty knowledgeable, but made the comment she's never seen anything like this before on the inside of the tire.

These 22" tires are Bridgestone Alena 275 50 R22 tires which nobody seemed to have in-stock after calling around to 5 places in that larger community. We managed to get it back to his house where we put the spare tire on using his floor jack (as removing the spare tire on this 2021 is the same amount of fun it was on my 2007) and I had no issues driving it home. The sad part is I'm replacing a tire that looks like wil cost slightly more than $300 on a vehicle that currently has less than 600 miles on it. :)

I'm going to call my GM dealer on Monday and see if they can get one ordered/installed. My questions are with this being a full-size spare tire (even though the spare is 17"), I'm assuming that I can drive on it without issue for a few days or up to a week since it's a regular tire? Also, I'm including a photo of the gash on the inside of the tire...curious if anyone else has seen this with their 22" Bridgestone tires. I'm guessing there's no road hazard or any type of warranty on these tires unless it's deemed a defect, correct?

Thanks!

20210507_224836554_iOS.jpg

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that tire came apart on its own, I would think it would be warranted. But if there is any reason or any evidence to show that it has been cut, you’ll have to pay for it out of pocket, I’m pretty sure.
If it truly did it on its own and came apart, that could be scary for a lot of owners and should be a big deal to the mfg....

OP
OP
Micahsd

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that tire came apart on its own, I would think it would be warranted. But if there is any reason or any evidence to show that it has been cut, you’ll have to pay for it out of pocket, I’m pretty sure.
If it truly did it on its own and came apart, that could be scary for a lot of owners and should be a big deal to the mfg....

Hopefully it's just a rare thing. My Tahoe was built in March, so its a later 2021 model. From the markings near the top of the tread, I'm leaning towards it maybe hitting something, although I really don't know what. This was the driver's side-rear tire, so I would've thought if I hit anything major that it would've been the front tire that would've gotten it. Thanks for the reply.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A close look, seems like an actual cut. With your four wheel drive as opposed to AWD you can use the spare with no worries. Sure sucks to replace a brand new tire though. Hopefully the dealer has and uses a road force balancer to get it perfectly balanced like the OE.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Yup, uncommon but we just had the same occur on my wife’s Beetle. She drives daily through a freeway construction zone. Something razor sharp sliced the bead at the inside edge of the rim.

Installed on the car it leaked. Off the car it held air and no bubbles while submerged in water at 60lb. I was told the tire had road hazard that would replace it even though it wasn’t purchased from Discount Tire Direct via eBay. I haven’t followed up on it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I got my new 2021 Tahoe Premiere about 2.5 weeks ago and took it on it's first road trip down to a friend's place about 60 miles away and when we were driving around that city, we parked somewhere and I could hear air coming out of one of my 22" tires.

We were next to Sam's Club so asked them if they could patch it quick...they checked it out and somehow the tire is split from the tread area through the sidewall. The tire lady there who looked at it seemed pretty knowledgeable, but made the comment she's never seen anything like this before on the inside of the tire.

These 22" tires are Bridgestone Alena 275 50 R22 tires which nobody seemed to have in-stock after calling around to 5 places in that larger community. We managed to get it back to his house where we put the spare tire on using his floor jack (as removing the spare tire on this 2021 is the same amount of fun it was on my 2007) and I had no issues driving it home. The sad part is I'm replacing a tire that looks like wil cost slightly more than $300 on a vehicle that currently has less than 600 miles on it. :)

I'm going to call my GM dealer on Monday and see if they can get one ordered/installed. My questions are with this being a full-size spare tire (even though the spare is 17"), I'm assuming that I can drive on it without issue for a few days or up to a week since it's a regular tire? Also, I'm including a photo of the gash on the inside of the tire...curious if anyone else has seen this with their 22" Bridgestone tires. I'm guessing there's no road hazard or any type of warranty on these tires unless it's deemed a defect, correct?

Thanks!

View attachment 278686
YIKES!!!!!! Sorry to hear about that. 22s are not cheap :(

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a reach-around slash, lol, not likely he ran over something I have had weirder things happen ran over a piece of headlight once you wouldn't believe the damage it did, I have ran over rebar, screws, bolts, wire, metal, you name it. even a stop sign :rolleyes: Happens to me because I tend to drive where other people do not