Cut Tire w/less than 500 Miles on Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I got my new 2021 Tahoe Premiere about 2.5 weeks ago and took it on it's first road trip down to a friend's place about 60 miles away and when we were driving around that city, we parked somewhere and I could hear air coming out of one of my 22" tires.

We were next to Sam's Club so asked them if they could patch it quick...they checked it out and somehow the tire is split from the tread area through the sidewall. The tire lady there who looked at it seemed pretty knowledgeable, but made the comment she's never seen anything like this before on the inside of the tire.

These 22" tires are Bridgestone Alena 275 50 R22 tires which nobody seemed to have in-stock after calling around to 5 places in that larger community. We managed to get it back to his house where we put the spare tire on using his floor jack (as removing the spare tire on this 2021 is the same amount of fun it was on my 2007) and I had no issues driving it home. The sad part is I'm replacing a tire that looks like wil cost slightly more than $300 on a vehicle that currently has less than 600 miles on it. :)

I'm going to call my GM dealer on Monday and see if they can get one ordered/installed. My questions are with this being a full-size spare tire (even though the spare is 17"), I'm assuming that I can drive on it without issue for a few days or up to a week since it's a regular tire? Also, I'm including a photo of the gash on the inside of the tire...curious if anyone else has seen this with their 22" Bridgestone tires. I'm guessing there's no road hazard or any type of warranty on these tires unless it's deemed a defect, correct?

Thanks!

View attachment 278686
if you have onstar it may include road hazard, talk to onstar or your dealer

Red2021RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to see that damage. On page 8 of the limited warranty booklet that came with the 2021 Tahoe it clearly states that road hazard damage is not covered. On new vehicles I always go to Discount Tires and buy road hazard insurance on all 4 tires. The Bridgestone Alenza 275/50 R22 111T tires go for about $260, Road hazard on all 4 was $192 including tax. Well worth it. On other vehicles I've used it several times and it saved me hundreds.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% I've had tires slashed before. They looked just like this.

It's such a horrible feeling to be a victim of that. Especially when it is just a random act and you had done nothing to have that kind of thing thrust upon you out of the blue. I had that happen to me once, really ****** me up mentally.

I had some ************* slash all for of my tires once. He hit the tire so hard with his knife he left in prints of the balls of his fist on the sidewall. He was some ******* another manager fired and he came back for revenge I guess. Unfortunately that manger left and I was the last one to be there working the closing shift so he took it out on me. I always hoped to run into that dude some day and kick his ******* ass. I heard a few years later he died from an overdose or some shit. KARMA ****** ******...

MelloYello95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's such a horrible feeling to be a victim of that. Especially when it is just a random act and you had done nothing to have that kind of thing thrust upon you out of the blue. I had that happen to me once, really ****** me up mentally.

I had some ************* slash all for of my tires once. He hit the tire so hard with his knife he left in prints of the balls of his fist on the sidewall. He was some ******* another manager fired and he came back for revenge I guess. Unfortunately that manger left and I was the last one to be there working the closing shift so he took it out on me. I always hoped to run into that dude some day and kick his ******* ass. I heard a few years later he died from an overdose or some shit. KARMA ****** ******...

That's terrible, I'm sorry. I don't understand some folks either, but I would rather them take it out on my vehicle than my family and I. You cant justify bad behavior with bad behavior. Let the world take care of them, which sounds like what happened. I have an old 5.0 Mustang, my first car. It was shot sitting in a paring lot and stolen once with me standing about 10 feet from it. The world is full of disrespect.

Chalie M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I got my new 2021 Tahoe Premiere about 2.5 weeks ago and took it on it's first road trip down to a friend's place about 60 miles away and when we were driving around that city, we parked somewhere and I could hear air coming out of one of my 22" tires.

We were next to Sam's Club so asked them if they could patch it quick...they checked it out and somehow the tire is split from the tread area through the sidewall. The tire lady there who looked at it seemed pretty knowledgeable, but made the comment she's never seen anything like this before on the inside of the tire.

These 22" tires are Bridgestone Alena 275 50 R22 tires which nobody seemed to have in-stock after calling around to 5 places in that larger community. We managed to get it back to his house where we put the spare tire on using his floor jack (as removing the spare tire on this 2021 is the same amount of fun it was on my 2007) and I had no issues driving it home. The sad part is I'm replacing a tire that looks like wil cost slightly more than $300 on a vehicle that currently has less than 600 miles on it. :)

I'm going to call my GM dealer on Monday and see if they can get one ordered/installed. My questions are with this being a full-size spare tire (even though the spare is 17"), I'm assuming that I can drive on it without issue for a few days or up to a week since it's a regular tire? Also, I'm including a photo of the gash on the inside of the tire...curious if anyone else has seen this with their 22" Bridgestone tires. I'm guessing there's no road hazard or any type of warranty on these tires unless it's deemed a defect, correct?

Thanks!

View attachment 278686
Sorry to say that’s NOT a cut from someone That’s a road hazard try cutting a tire sounds easy, I managed a tire store for many years try slashing/cutting a tire on the inside never happen ROAD HAZZARD..

KaySha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oddly enough, many years ago on my 2007, I had nearly identical occur. Except my “cut” went in the opposite direction, as if it continued it would have been circular like the tire. Enormous gash, 10-12”. Rear driver side, inside. Mechanic said he’d never seen it happen before, would have expected the front tire to be damaged. There was no visible road hazard. Due to the size, tire immediately flattened as I had been at a red light when it occurred.

I’d press your dealership to replace by saying you are rethinking your purchase because there was no road hazard and the location is bizarre. $300 to ease a buyers mind is good PR. They want you to return, buying another, when that one ages.
Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk