CUP HOLDER problem 1999 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Krispy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The foam pads in the main dash CUP HOLDER are worn to the point where they no longer help to hold cups of different sizes. Dealerships say that you have to replace the whole assembly which has been discontinued. I've found that there are still a few available around the country for around $72. Has anyone tried drilling out the rivets that hold the foam pads into the assembly, and then making some new pads for replacement? Any ideas out there?

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
I haven't tried it, but I don't think it would be that hard to do.

29-8513.jpg

To remove the cupholder, pull it out and use a flat head screwdriver to twist the guide knob underneath 90 degrees to release it.

OP
OP
Mr. Krispy

Mr. Krispy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I drilled out the rivets and attempted to replace the foam pads. Getting the pads out of the main holder wasn't too hard but it is not possible to remove the pad from the swing out holder. Also replacing the pop rivets would probably result in breaking the frame since it is thin plastic. So what I did was simply cut and glue additional foam onto the underside of each existing foam pad. That bulks them up, making it easier to hold the cups in place again. Cost was less than $1.00 compared to the replacement part of $51 if you can still find one in stock. Don't waste your time drilling out the rivets...you might make it worse. This repair should last as long as I own the Yukon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeterF