Cross Country Drive, things to bring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sarneson91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,
I'll be moving in January from Whidbey Island WA (2 hours north of Seattle) to D.C. and am wondering what are some extra things to bring, I'm already planning on bringing a couple cordless drills, full socket set, full screwdriver set, extra oil/brake fluid/power steering fluid as well. I will be doing a full fluid change when I get back from deployment to prep for the trip as well as a full brake checkup to make sure everything looks good. This will be my first cross country road trip and Im just being cautious. Thanks for the ideas in advance.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basic tools, 1 full gas can, tire plug kit and air pump or fix a flat, 2 gallons of water 1 drinkin 1 distilled, some food like crackers/protein bars/non perishable food, blanket and pillow, cell phone charger 12 v, maybe an extra drive belt or replace yours first, jumper cables, tow strap, AAA card if you have one.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spare serpentine belt and a wrench/socket for the tensioner pulley.

Not a fan of fix-a-flat cans - I prefer to keep an air compressor (with the necessary duty cycle rating to inflate a tire) and the self-vulcanizing plugs and the reamer/hand tool.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone has good suggestions, so I won't reiterate them, but I always have some type of OBD-II scanner on hand. I keep a cheap Bluetooth dongle in all my vehicles coupled with the Torque Pro app on my phone.

Also, an assortment of fuses.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,
I'll be moving in January from Whidbey Island WA (2 hours north of Seattle) to D.C.

Get yourself a good set of waders and a shovel and remember to leave all the offensive jokes back at Whidbey Island lest any snowflakes feel offended. This is of course has nothing to do with your trip but your new assignment! LOL

OP
OP
sarneson91

sarneson91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a good set of waders and a shovel and remember to leave all the offensive jokes back at Whidbey Island lest any snowflakes feel offended. This is of course has nothing to do with your trip but your new assignment! LOL

Hahaha, gotta love them snowflakes, I'm just ready to get back to the east coast. Maryland bound, unfortunately I can't seem to flake the cold.. oh well will be closer to some better fishing that's for sure.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spare serpentine belt and a wrench/socket for the tensioner pulley.

Not a fan of fix-a-flat cans - I prefer to keep an air compressor (with the necessary duty cycle rating to inflate a tire) and the self-vulcanizing plugs and the reamer/hand tool.

I'd add to get a couple of spare tensioners for that trip. While I have yet to replace the belts on our Tahoe, I've done a couple on our mid-90's B-body cars, and on one, the tensioner broke when turning it to pull the belt. If that happens on the road, you're kind of stranded.

So do the belts and tensioners before you leave, but throw the old parts (if they seem in good shape) in the spares box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT