CrankShaft Position Sensor Adventures...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: So lately I've been having trouble with my truck running rough it started to have a dead miss on the Hwy, and then finally the engine died on the Hwy one morning going to work. After being towed in to our shop, the guys there replaced the CKP sensor and sent me on emy way. That lasted about a week before the truck left me stranded again. after another tow to our shop, I told the guys to keep my truck until it's fixed.

They had it for two days this week. They found that if they wiggled the wiring plug for the sensor, the truck would run. So they checked to see if the dealer had a replacement plug.

To thier surprise the dealer knew exactly what they were describing, and GM still makes a complete replacement wiring kit for that sensor, and BONUS the dealer keep them in stock.

Apparently the bad wiring in that sensor plug is common enough that GM still makes the wiring kit and dealers still stock them on a 12 year old truck. I can't buy a tailgate latch kit from GM but I can buy replacement wiring kits?

Anyways the shop replaced the wiring and all my problems went away.

I'm mentioning this because I just spent hundreds of $$$ on new sensors when a $60 wiring kit was my problem. This may help others who are experiencing misfiring and rough idling.

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Moog. Pics of the install HERE.

Discussion of it HERE and HERE.

Although after a year, I did have mine replaced with the same model. Had it changed when I had me new shocks installed.

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yes. It was throwing out an intermittant CKP sensor circuit. So the shop dutifully replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Twice....And the TPS... that's why it baffled them.

With a new sensor it would run for a few hours then when they went to move it out of the shop for a test drive, bleh. It would die.

Eventually they figured out that it was the wiring. When the truck was put in drive, then the wires would lose contact and the engine would stop running. That and the fact that touching the wires and wiggling them made the truck run ok for a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autom8ted