Crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

steveo1

Reaction score
Taking it to a mechanic would be great.. it's my daughter's Tahoe that I gave her couple years back.. the value of the car verses what I'll likely spend with a mechanic done way out...I know that's where it needs to go but honestly at this poi
I would recommend doing a cranking test and then pull a couple spark plugs and see if they are wet with fuel nodes smell like it. That will help direct your diagnosis as well. I'd maybe inspect 2 before trying this: burning them clean with a small torch reinstall, test crank a couple times, and then remove again and inspect.

If they are covered in fuel, then you know spark or air is gone (it runs on starting fluid, so I'm suspecting air is OK). If there is no fuel coating or smell, then you have a fuel problem.

I'm not ruling out the PASS LOCK, but like stated above, you'd need a better scanner to dig into that one. Hope this helps!
Here are couple videos showing spark color and amount of spark..and noid light for injector pulse

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
TYF doesn't host videos, you need to use YouTube or some other host, and post the link to it in your message.

Why are you repeating yourself? ;)

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you stated that the plugs weren't wet, or very wet, after a start attempt? Could you smell fuel on them?

Have you tried, or verified, if you have good pump flow? I know you said the presusee came up to 58 psi? Maybe pull the fuel line off the rail and into a container. Then have someone do a momentary crank cycle to see if you are actually getting flow to the rail. Just a suggestion.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would check the injectors next, engine is cranking and you have spark, verify fuel, verify the injector harness ground is good and that they are getting power.

OP
OP
S

steveo1

Reaction score
If you have a minute can you call me nine three seven five zero nine seven one zero four...

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you did your spark test, was that one from an engine cylinder or a test one? If it was one from a cylinder, did fuel mist spray out of that hole when cranking? If all 8 plugs were in, I hear a high spot in the cranking revolution. Usually that is indicative of a bad cylinder - either valve or cam related. Or timing way off.

One word to the wise - if you did pull a plug to test spark and didn't kill the fuel pump, you could end up with less hair on you! Experience talking here.......brain farted one time when testing and had a fireball in the engine bay. The sound deadening rhat attaches to the bottom of the hood is quite flammable. Had to change my shorts after that one......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts