Crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steveo1

Reaction score
I may have posted this in wrong location..

I am at witts end...2001 Tahoe 5.3 crank no start...I've replaced fuel pump three times in last week...It has a delpi pump with new filter ....replaced crank sensor repalces fuel regulator....I have injector pulse...I have spark at the plugs ....ive tried eliminating nuetral safety switch by moving thru the gears and trying in neutral to start...by way of cranking the motor sounds as if it has good compression..and it will run on starting fluid. I know I'm missing something that I've tried...I've also checked my grounds and ran a few temp grounds to be certain with new battery.....ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If neutral safety switch was bad then engine would NOT crank in neutral. You need to verify fuel pressure at the fuel rails. You have done alot of needed checks but in the wrong order. Replacing crank sensor likely will need a crank position relearn procedure done now. Your symptoms do fit fuel system or bad crank sensor problem. Having injector pulse BUT no fuel pressure will cause your symptom. Need to verify that fuel pressure and my bet is that you dont have it. Bad fuel pump, regulator or crammed full of sediment fuel filter which is mounted on drivers side chassis under driver door. You can goto most auto parts stores and "rent out" a fuel pressure test kit just for a deposit which you get back when you return the tool. Autozone, Advance Auto Parts and most other names loan out the tools. Just goto the counter and tell them what you need for test equipment.

OP
OP
S

steveo1

Reaction score
If neutral safety switch was bad then engine would NOT crank in neutral. You need to verify fuel pressure at the fuel rails. You have done alot of needed checks but in the wrong order. Replacing crank sensor likely will need a crank position relearn procedure done now. Your symptoms do fit fuel system or bad crank sensor problem. Having injector pulse BUT no fuel pressure will cause your symptom. Need to verify that fuel pressure and my bet is that you dont have it. Bad fuel pump, regulator or crammed full of sediment fuel filter which is mounted on drivers side chassis under driver door. You can goto most auto parts stores and "rent out" a fuel pressure test kit just for a deposit which you get back when you return the tool. Autozone, Advance Auto Parts and most other names loan out the tools. Just goto the counter and tell them what you need for test equipment.
Well I would agree but as mentioned I'm in my third pump this week...first started with the cheap knock off house brands but ended up with a Delphi pump today... And fuel pressure is there ...which is why I had moved onto the crank sensor after the previous pump replacements... I replaced a pump in this couple years ago and it worked fine simce so when this originally happened it was mentioned mimicks NO FUEL sysmotoms so I like a dummy just went ahead and changed out the first of the three pumps I've installed in the last three weeks....the last one tonight with the delpi pump...but oddly enough al three pumps were within spec....I Can rule out bad fuel pump....and can rule out alot of the ignition as it will run on starting fluid briefly..

OP
OP
S

steveo1

Reaction score
And yes I will need to relearn crank sensor but I'm assuming I'll have to do that after I get it going...not sure I can do that any other way..I'm definitely open to any suggestions and feel it's gonna come down to something stupid overlooked once I figure it. Anything can be fixed just need a new direction to travel

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you got compression, spark and fuel.....what about air? Is your air filter plugged up? Check for a plastic walmart bag sucked up into the system on the inlet side of the air filter snorkel. What color is your spark? Should be a pretty bright blue. Anything like white or orange aint gonna fly. Any chance it has jumped time? Stretched out timing chain.

OP
OP
S

steveo1

Reaction score
So you got compression, spark and fuel.....what about air? Is your air filter plugged up? Check for a plastic walmart bag sucked up into the system on the inlet side of the air filter snorkel. What color is your spark? Should be a pretty bright blue. Anything like white or orange aint gonna fly. Any chance it has jumped time? Stretched out timing chain.
It runs on start fluid... Does that eliminate the questions bout spark compression and air filter..

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say it has the correct fuel pressure. What did you read? Did you replace the fuel filter when doing the pump like stated above? Have you tried to see how much fuel flow you have at the rail? Pressure doesn't mean anything if there isn't fuel to push in. Do any of the spark plugs smell like raw fuel after crank-no-start?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact you can get some reaction from starter fluid, indicates fuel issue. But seems more like an all or nothing situation, where you are getting nothing for some reason...

Is it possible the computer thinks the engine is already flooded and not telling injectors it is OK to send fuel?
Could try the process that clears flooded engine... Press and hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking and try starting. Then try to start with no gas pedal.

Did you disconnect both battery cables from the battery terminals and touch the disconnected cable ends together for 5 minutes or more to reset the computer?

These may not do anything for you, but we won't know unless you try. Neither procedure will cost anything. See what happens.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stubbornness will get you no where, if you want assistance online then we need accurate data, we can only "guess" what your issue is otherwise. I would imagine if you have replaced the fuel pump 3 times already then that alone is probably pretty frustrating. As already mentioned the 01 indeed has a fuel filter right under the drivers seat area on the inside edge of the frame, later models do not have a exterior fuel filter.
so that being said. 1st things 1st.
1. what is the Fuel pressure on the fuel rail at the schrader valve? it needs to be in the range of 50-65 with key-on only (engine not running)

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will it start at all?

Mine (04 flex) was doing this -
after a shop put in a non-OEM camshaft position sensor while doing my rear main. Failing sensors also exhibit the same random crank no start. I fired a parts cannon of new FPR and fuel pump with no change. Flood clear method didn't do anything. Later put in an OEM camshaft sensor and good to go.

Just something to think about.

I've also seen a post recently about a fella that forgot to plug one of the fuel pump connectors back in...tech2 would help here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17