couple audio questions, jl w7, kicker, phoenix gold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a damn shame! I remember buying my 12w0s brand new for under $100 and putting a $79 punch 35.2 to them and they would CRAM! Now everytime I look at one of their products, they look sick, but expensive as hell. Like I said, damn shame! They must be the new PPI.

What about Soundstream? I had one of their older 1000W amps (when they were one of the best names around). I just bought a 480W Soundstream amp a few weeks ago, and the quality seems noticeably lower. Did they sell their name or something?

Last edited:

J-dub

The TYF Young One
Reaction score
I've dealt with many of the audio companies out today.
And my easiest way to put it is...
With a lot of the underdogs, you get less than what you pay for and sometimes a lot more than what you pay for..... with big over rated companies such as JL you don't get what you pay for. JL definitely has nice stuff but like MOB said you're really just paying for the name

Last edited:

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but you have to understand that when I was your age, JL WAS the underdog who gave you WAYYY more than you paid for. It's weird to see them all grown up and stingy.

When I was 17, I had 2 12w0s that would hit 127dbs (tested) all day, for under $200.

Last edited:

J-dub

The TYF Young One
Reaction score
I agree with you for sure! But everything is different now. Just trying to look out for ya. I'd check into some other brands.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if u havent bought the jl audio amp u can get this alot cheaper and better this stuff is hand made here in the US unlike jl audio stuff is all made in china

Not correct. 'Some' of JL's line is outsourced, some is made in Miramar, FL...

plus, if JL's ( or insert any manufacture) has their R&D guys design it, who cares where its built.

I've dealt with many of the audio companies out today.
And my easiest way to put it is...
With a lot of the underdogs, you get less than what you pay for and sometimes a lot more than what you pay for..... with big over rated companies such as JL you don't get what you pay for. JL definitely has nice stuff but like MOB said you're really just paying for the name

also not entirely true. Small companies like AQ, etc use the R&D staff of other 12v manufactures to R&D, test, tool, design, then they walk in and 'borrow' the design and slap a name on it. So they dont have the higher cost associated with the bigger name that invented the technology. Most of these small names dont have 10 people working for them, so there is no way they are pating for tooling, etc....

2000Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running an Fi SSD 12 in a 3cu ft. ported box with 1300 watts rms going to it and it screams for more. This thing is indestructible.

I would highly recommend Fi over JL.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys we have to remember EVERY brand has high and low end models.. hell you can get a 12" sony for $40 at walmart.. but that doesn't make it worth a sh*t.. you have to buy specific brand models. and every ones build is different.. buy for what you are wanting.. like i have the budget for a $3,000 system but i dont feel it necessary to spend that all in one place.. i want all my cargo space so i ran a flat 10" pioneer in a custom box and it will blow you out the car..

i have 4Ga feeding 750 mono threw 12Ga to a 10" Flat mount Pioneer in a little over a cubic foot custom box and it pounds... a system has to have the correct combination of items..

JL makes good and bad models.. all depends.. and they are not the same company that they were 10 years ago..

sorry for rant

4 main items for agood sound.
- plenty of power to the amp
- class D amp with more than enough juice to drive the sub
- Jub with good coils and large magnet..
- a proper proportion box matched to the specific sub..

the box airspace needs to meet the ratings of the individual sub..

ie. FI Death Penalty make tones of bass.. BUT they are huge, heavy, and take up a ton of space and require a ton of air space..

the brand name is not as important as the individual model..

J-dub

The TYF Young One
Reaction score
Not correct. 'Some' of JL's line is outsourced, some is made in Miramar, FL...

plus, if JL's ( or insert any manufacture) has their R&D guys design it, who cares where its built.

also not entirely true. Small companies like AQ, etc use the R&D staff of other 12v manufactures to R&D, test, tool, design, then they walk in and 'borrow' the design and slap a name on it. So they dont have the higher cost associated with the bigger name that invented the technology. Most of these small names dont have 10 people working for them, so there is no way they are pating for tooling, etc....

I've never dealt with AQ... BUT, I'm not talking bad about JL at all they are a good company, just seem over priced to me when compared to many of the smaller companies. I agree with why the smaller companies can sell for less, though. Just stating what I know personally.

For example my old setups: 2 JL w012s that were running on 300rms barely handled the power which is what they were rated at, in a sealed box...where as one FI X 10 rated for 300~rms was taking nearly 500 daily with no difficulties in a sealed box. Both boxes were recommended sizes. These subs were around the same price iirc, and the Fi performed way better. This is just my personal experiences... and I've done a lot of setups for others.

If JL is what you want, by all means go for it. But imo I'd rather pay less for the same subwoofer abilities, and a lot of times MORE sub abilities.

I'm currently running an Fi SSD 12 in a 3cu ft. ported box with 1300 watts rms going to it and it screams for more. This thing is indestructible.

I would highly recommend Fi over JL.

Agreed. I've dealt with FI before and love their products! Right now it's T3 Audio for me.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys we have to remember EVERY brand has high and low end models.. hell you can get a 12" sony for $40 at walmart.. but that doesn't make it worth a sh*t.. you have to buy specific brand models. and every ones build is different.. buy for what you are wanting.. like i have the budget for a $3,000 system but i dont feel it necessary to spend that all in one place.. i want all my cargo space so i ran a flat 10" pioneer in a custom box and it will blow you out the car..

i have 4Ga feeding 750 mono threw 12Ga to a 10" Flat mount Pioneer in a little over a cubic foot custom box and it pounds... a system has to have the correct combination of items..

JL makes good and bad models.. all depends.. and they are not the same company that they were 10 years ago..

sorry for rant

4 main items for agood sound.
- plenty of power to the amp
- class D amp with more than enough juice to drive the sub
- Jub with good coils and large magnet..
- a proper proportion box matched to the specific sub..

the box airspace needs to meet the ratings of the individual sub..

ie. FI Death Penalty make tones of bass.. BUT they are huge, heavy, and take up a ton of space and require a ton of air space..

the brand name is not as important as the individual model..

very good post, but just want to add, magnet size shouldn't be the determining factor on buying a subwoofer. Some stack magnets just for that, wow factor. but as long as you have enough motor strength to run a woofer like it should mechanically, its enough. Imagine Neo woofers, people would pass them up becasue of magnet size, when they work perfect, just a Neo mag.

I've never dealt with AQ... BUT, I'm not talking bad about JL at all they are a good company, just seem over priced to me when compared to many of the smaller companies. I agree with why the smaller companies can sell for less, though. Just stating what I know personally.

and I'm not saying anything 'bad' per 'se to smaller companies, but they need those other higher mainstream manufactures to do the leg work. Which in return, cost JL and other more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elepere