Building my 05 LT Tahoe. any tips? Or anyone just interested in following the build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Im in progress of giving my truck a nice little squat, nothing stupid just a nice stance. im most definitely going with a set of crown 3 inch drop coils, along with a pair of shock extenders, or new shocks if needed. the truck needs some work but it runs good, although its missing some power because i need some new ignition coils, wires, and plugs and also a new knock sensor. I want a high performance truck that is quick, that being said i also want to give her a sloppy cam and a turbo or two lol. im new to car work, as i did grow up around it i was only the flashlight holder.. lol. so im learning as i go with this truck. right now i run 31 inch offroad tires with the oem 17 inch rims. i also run a set of 3 inch wheel spacers making it look wide. i recently cranked my lift keys about half way to give it a level stance. i plan to do some things like replacing the top valance that got ripped off in an auto car wash and the bottom air catcher and getting them color matched with my paint. also want to replace the face bar and mounting bars for the face bar as i ran into a fire hydrant and bent it up pretty good. thinking about also painting the front of my frame with the same color as my emblem (truck in my profile picture) where it is visible. i dont know if anyone else is interested in sound but i have a single sundown sa-12 in the back of my hoe running on 1200 watts, and im planning to upgrade with a second sa-12 and a bigger amp. feel free to drop any tips as i will gladly take them. also looking to refurnish my wheels with silver paint.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Squat is not a nice stance and fix your engine stuff first.

There, I said it. I'm now the ******* of the thread. You're welcome.

I was reading along... dropping the rear... okay, should level it out... oh you already cranked the front up? Dang

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don’t do squat here and cams can’t be sloppy or your engine will grenade.

Grind

Reaction score
We don’t do squat here and cams can’t be sloppy or your engine will grenade.
I think he's referring to 'Sloppy Mechanics' and the stage 2 cam that is popular among that crowd. It's great with a turbo, in a Fairmont, Mustang, Colorado or other small, lightweight dyno donkey dragstrip monster. But not so much in a big beast like a GMT800.

And, no, please for the love of God, don't squat.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me to give advice, I need to start with the one thing that bothers me the most, (and i'll gladly take over as the ******* of the thread):

How did you run into a fire hydrant?
Was this driver error? (IF this has to do with alcohol, then **** off, and save your money. Better yet, sell your three ton bullet so you have uber money).

If this was a problem with your vehicle, then you need to fix that first. Get your vehicle up to factory condition before you start trying to improve things that aren't going to get better because something else needs fixing.
If it was some other weather related condition/driver error that wasn't impairment, then maybe some driver education help, (even if that's an extra tank of fuel, and screwing off in an empty parking lot or some distant backroads where you can practice a few things).

Heres the other problems I see: when you say
I want a high performance truck that is quick,
YET,

but it runs good, although its missing some power because i need some new ignition coils, wires, and plugs and also a new knock sensor.
Why the Hell, is this not your priority? forget the paint, forget the coils, and you can sure as hell forget the one or two turbos if your engine goes because you can't keep up with maintenance. Talking about a second sub and turbos with basic maintenance needed means you just don't have your priorities straight. (Keep in mind, I know I'm kind of an *******, but I am trying to just be real with you, because I think its the best way for me to help).

Im in progress of giving my truck a nice little squat, nothing stupid just a nice stance. im most definitely going with a set of crown 3 inch drop coils, along with a pair of shock extenders, or new shocks if needed. the truck needs some work.
If you have already raised it, you need to figure out if you are going to drop or raise. Personally, I would get your vehicle up to factory standards, meaning make sure your shocks (that you don't know if they are bad or not), and rubber are good, your greased up, and you have no problems before you start trying to modify it any further. If you just upgrade several things, but have bad bushings you're never going to know what your problems are, what each part does to charge different things, or which parts you like or may not like after you do them. I would suggest finding out what parts you NEED to upgrade that you are going to upgrade, and research on those first. If you're shocks are blown, then great time to upgrade them. If you're bushings are worn, then look into poly bushings and read the reviews, see if that's worth a little more to you.

that being said i also want to give her a sloppy cam and a turbo or two lol. im new to car work, as i did grow up around it i was only the flashlight holder.. lol. so im learning as i go with this truck. right now i run 31 inch offroad tires with the oem 17 inch rims. i also run a set of 3 inch wheel spacers making it look wide.
Fine, but make sure you understand how this increases the force on your parts, and throws off your suspension. You might not notice it, but you really are hurting your handling so that it looks cool (im just a big function over form) If you know, and want to keep it, then cool. Others will say they have done it too, okay...

i recently cranked my lift keys about half way to give it a level stance.
You want to drop it, but you cranked up the lift keys??

i plan to do some things like replacing the top valance that got ripped off in an auto car wash and the bottom air catcher and getting them color matched with my paint. also want to replace the face bar and mounting bars for the face bar as i ran into a fire hydrant and bent it up pretty good.
WTF? I still want to know about this, even though no matter what, I will never REALLY know how it happened.

thinking about also painting the front of my frame with the same color as my emblem (truck in my profile picture) where it is visible.
OK, but I don't think this is a concern for most people. Pretty sure most people would choose to just paint the emblem to match something else.

i dont know if anyone else is interested in sound but i have a single sundown sa-12 in the back of my hoe running on 1200 watts, and im planning to upgrade with a second sa-12 and a bigger amp. feel free to drop any tips as i will gladly take them. also looking to refurnish my wheels with silver paint.

Frankly I think most people have big plans, and then the reality of a budget brings those ideas out of the clouds. Bring your ideas out of the credit cards and back into the checking account. Those with huge budgets probably aren't starting with an NBS, and those who have done a lot, probably took a good while getting there. Having said all that, if you are still reading, I really do wish you luck in getting what you want. IMO, you need to start smaller and keep learning.

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score
For me to give advice, I need to start with the one thing that bothers me the most, (and i'll gladly take over as the ******* of the thread):

Was this driver error? (IF this has to do with alcohol, then **** off, and save your money. Better yet, sell your three ton bullet so you have uber money).

If this was a problem with your vehicle, then you need to fix that first. Get your vehicle up to factory condition before you start trying to improve things that aren't going to get better because something else needs fixing.
If it was some other weather related condition/driver error that wasn't impairment, then maybe some driver education help, (even if that's an extra tank of fuel, and screwing off in an empty parking lot or some distant backroads where you can practice a few things).

YET,

Why the Hell, is this not your priority? forget the paint, forget the coils, and you can sure as hell forget the one or two turbos if your engine goes because you can't keep up with maintenance. Talking about a second sub and turbos with basic maintenance needed means you just don't have your priorities straight. (Keep in mind, I know I'm kind of an *******, but I am trying to just be real with you, because I think its the best way for me to help).

If you have already raised it, you need to figure out if you are going to drop or raise. Personally, I would get your vehicle up to factory standards, meaning make sure your shocks (that you don't know if they are bad or not), and rubber are good, your greased up, and you have no problems before you start trying to modify it any further. If you just upgrade several things, but have bad bushings you're never going to know what your problems are, what each part does to charge different things, or which parts you like or may not like after you do them. I would suggest finding out what parts you NEED to upgrade that you are going to upgrade, and research on those first. If you're shocks are blown, then great time to upgrade them. If you're bushings are worn, then look into poly bushings and read the reviews, see if that's worth a little more to you.

Fine, but make sure you understand how this increases the force on your parts, and throws off your suspension. You might not notice it, but you really are hurting your handling so that it looks cool (im just a big function over form) If you know, and want to keep it, then cool. Others will say they have done it too, okay...

WTF? I still want to know about this, even though no matter what, I will never REALLY know how it happened.

OK, but I don't think this is a concern for most people. Pretty sure most people would choose to just paint the emblem to match something else.

Frankly I think most people have big plans, and then the reality of a budget brings those ideas out of the clouds. Bring your ideas out of the credit cards and back into the checking account. Those with huge budgets probably aren't starting with an NBS, and those who have done a lot, probably took a good while getting there. Having said all that, if you are still reading, I really do wish you luck in getting what you want. IMO, you need to start smaller and keep learning.
******** I feel like I just read a ******* textbook lol yeah I got sum dreams, been breaking this POS hoe since day one tryna

YET,

Holy shit I just read the encyclopedia on my clapped out pos Tahoe LOL. No pain lol I like reading the criticism, makes me realize that I really needa prioritize you're right. Lmao by the way, I parked in front a buddies house and parked basically right over a fire hydrant. I hopped in my truck after being inside for like 2 hours, I forgot the hydrant was right infront my truck and I ran the side of my bumper into it while pulling off LMAO. I cranked the keys because I've always wanted a squat on my truck and needed clearance for my spacers but now I wanna drop the back and delete the keys for a level drop, keeping my offset. You are right, I sacrificed handling when I took on a wider track width, but Its not too bad and I've gotten used too the wobble when I go over train tracks. I got around too painting the frame lol check my profile pictures, got some new rims too, kept the spacers on so the truck is actually another inch wider now.. I drove on the wheels for a week with no balance and it would wobble like CRAZY around 40 and 45.. that shit left me with a terrible alignment now *face palm*. Lol I face palm every time I look at this shit box. I've always been the one too be against the dumb ass teenager ******** like "rice" and that shit, but it seems I got caught up in that shit as well. I've always had the mindset of have everything too factory standards THEN start upgrading, but then shit started too break, and I don't have all the money in the world so I have too pass up some things, but with that I still want stuff but now I realize unless I fix this POS first, adding ******** only gonna make it worse lol. Thanks for opening my eyes lol I be clownin on here. I'm still sittin on stock height lol.

OP
OP
CookieMonster401
Reaction score

YET,

I forgot too mention, no I wasn't drunk I hate drinking. If anything I was still buzzin from a left handed Joe and just mindlessly forgot about the hydrant lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9