Could Really Use some Guidance - Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpeedyGhost

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All! This is my first time posting, however I have occasionally have browsed the forum from time to time over the years. For the past hour I have used the search feature to find a post that would answer a lot of the questions I have listed below, I know there are threads out there but I have been useless finding it up to this point so I apologize for creating yet another post I am sure has been answered numerous times!

My brother has a 96 suburban with the 5.7, the truck is immaculate especially for it being over 20 years old however the engine has high miles and is wore out. We have talked about doing an engine swap to a newer truly fuel injected engine for awhile but have never pulled the trigger. Unfortunately without going into any details we have recently received some news that is the worst of nature and now i am afraid we are on a countdown timer. Which brings me to the point of this post, I am going to do any and everything it takes to perform a successful engine swap for him to enjoy & hopefully for a long time.

But i need some guidance, as far as being mechanically inclined I have been working on cars/hot rods since i was 12. My grandfather raised me and taught me everything i know, so i am capable and can hold my own but honestly I am just lost right now. I know i can do my research and over time I am sure I can figure out what I need to know, but due to the circumstances I am putting a call for help out into this community of like minded enthusiasts. So I have listed what i think is the first questions I need help answering, I know nothing in life is free and I am sure everyone on here would help without asking for anything in return but due to the importance of this request and the time crunch I am under i have no problem paying someone for there time if they can help guide such as creating my shipping list of things i need to purchase as-well as the specifics of making another engine run.

- What engine should I get to replace the 5.7 with minimal programing, changes, additional parts, etc. Basically the most bang for my buck
- The truck has 4wd but has not worked since he bought the truck so would it make sense to delete it, or would it even matter with the engine swap
- The Transmission & Rear end are stock but have both been replaced with factoryt rebuilds in the last two years with less than 10K miles put on them

Again I will apologize posting this knowing the info is somewhere on here, just could really use some help being pointed into the right direction fellas! Looking forward to any and all help, if anyone wants to take me up on my above offer just PM me and we will get the ball rolling.

Thomas

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my shop I installed quite a few Jasper Remanufactured engines and never had a problem with any of them. They offer a great nationwide warranty and also offer an installation kit of all the small items needed when doing a swap.
As for the 4wd there is no deleting it and if the truck operates fine now it will have no bearing on the engine swap.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
SpeedyGhost

SpeedyGhost

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All and thanks for the warm welcome! Appreciate the info posted so far, I just got home from work and about to start doing research now. Seems like a great community plan on being in from here on out!

I have a 2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, First truck every paid completely off she is my baby and have plans for her down the line.

I will post pics shortly of the project truck, I just pulled the engine out two days ago.

OP
OP
SpeedyGhost

SpeedyGhost

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I had my shop I installed quite a few Jasper Remanufactured engines and never had a problem with any of them. They offer a great nationwide warranty and also offer an installation kit of all the small items needed when doing a swap.
As for the 4wd there is no deleting it and if the truck operates fine now it will have no bearing on the engine swap.
So your suggesting just installing a re-built 5.7 from jasper? Just out of curiosity what would that path open up in the form of performance modifications? is there an upgrade from the TBI?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there an upgrade from the TBI?
Your 96 would have the vortec heads and the spider poppet injectors versus the 95 and under with throttle body injection.

A common upgrade is the MPFI once the poppets age and get cruddy. If they’re in poor shape to begin with, it’s a reasonable improvement.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your suggesting just installing a re-built 5.7 from jasper? Just out of curiosity what would that path open up in the form of performance modifications? is there an upgrade from the TBI?
TBI?????? 96 shouldn't be Throttle Body Injection should be MPFI. An upgraded injector wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm sure if you called Jasper they would have suggestions for you. I wouldn't get lost in trying to improve performance much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues